Permissions problems with shares

• I am having permissions issues reaching all SMB shares. This is even when I set all shares to allow guest access. This happened after I created a new test share.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to reset permissions to get back to a place where users on my network can access the shares absent challenge and response? Can I reset the permissions system somehow? I must have messed something up with permissions along the way.

2. I am getting a password challenge in windows 10 for all shares now. I can't login to the shares when challenged. What is the format of username and password for logging into protected shares in Windows 10?

• I was able to resolve my issue by setting up users in OMV with the same username and passwords as Windows 10. In my case being a Microsoft account email address as the username (because Windows 10 was using Microsoft accounts to login rather than local accounts) and the Microsoft account password as the OMV user account password.

Then, when connecting to OMV from my Windows 10 machine, I connected to the Samba shares on OMV using the windows account username and password.

Thanks for the help.

• I was able to resolve my issue by setting up users in OMV with the same username and passwords as Windows 10. In my case being a Microsoft account email address as the username (because Windows 10 was using Microsoft accounts to login rather than local accounts) and the Microsoft account password as the OMV user account password.

Then, when connecting to OMV from my Windows 10 machine, I connected to the Samba shares on OMV using the windows account username and password.

Thanks for the help.

Well I'd consider this a useful workaround (thanks) but doesn't address the root cause. We need to be able to set arbitrary usernames and passwords for SMB shares.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!