Moving from my Beta Nas Build to Final Release 1 + More questions

• Hi every one and good morning (Brazil GMT-3).

I'm having fun for a while with OMV and ryecoaaron helps a lot anwsering some questions.

Finally I think that I'm ready to move from my beta build:

1) Ri PI

- OMV

- Union FS (Agregate a bunch of old drives)

- Snapraid (Give one parity drive)

- rClone + Daily Cron Jobs (Backup critical stuffs to the cloud)

- Common stuffs like (MiniDLNA + Docker + Portainer + DuckDNS + qBitTorrent)

2) Ri PI running libreSwan VPN

Some Images of Current Build:

• My question it is there is any way to add cache ssd storage to be achive high speed on my gigabit LAN, seems that mergerfs adds a bit of overhead (lag/slow) of file transfers.

My Optiples has 128GB NVEM + 16GB for OMV and 112GB for cache

Any idea how to improve my Release 1?

Sorry for split in 3 posts, but i got really excited

• You might to rethink this, have a look at this thread these units appear to 'sleep' after 10 mins and disconnect, these type of units are OK for Windows but may require further research when using with linux.

Wow I had tis problem today with rhe USB HUB from Orico I aways thought that was because of my old drives.

Thx for sharing

Do you have any tips about ssd caching a see that a bcache could be an ption but no oficial support from OMV

• There is no indication of Linux support, but I guess that it is plugin play.

Most of these units are plug n play, but they aimed at the Windows market but they will work on Linux, the downside to that Orico is that it goes to sleep after 10 mins of non activity. To me that suggests that Orico have added something to the firmware or Jmicron have added that feature at their request. The 10 min sleep on Windows machine is obviously not an issue, but on Linux it seems to remove the drive/s from OMV.

• Do all of the current Orico enclosures have this “feature”? And as I gather from this and the other thread mentioned, is this only a problem on AMD64 machines? Orico appears to be the dominant player in multi disk USB3 enclosures. I was contemplating a dual bay enclosure for an XU4 or RPi3.

Rsync makes true backup and restoration stupid easy, and it's built right in to OMV. Use this command in a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofSOURCEdisk/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofDESTINATIONdisk/
    OMV Version: Ver. 5 (current) - Hardware: NanoPi M4, running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180, running backup - Odroid XU4, running Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: Odroid HC2, Odroid XU4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Odroid XU4, and HP dx2400.

• Do all of the current Orico enclosures have this “feature”? And as I gather from this and the other thread mentioned, is this only a problem on AMD64 machines? Orico appears to be the dominant player in multi disk USB3 enclosures. I was contemplating a dual bay enclosure for an XU4 or RPi3.

Based on the other thread @sismondi is using Intel

• By the power of Grayskull sometimes you have to use an alternative ^^

Meaning, the KeepAlive software? Or flashing older firmware? Or choosing a different brand enclosure?

From the post you linked to:

I think I will keep looking for a different enclosure.

Rsync makes true backup and restoration stupid easy, and it's built right in to OMV. Use this command in a Scheduled Job: rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofSOURCEdisk/ /srv/dev-disk-by-label-NAMEofDESTINATIONdisk/
    OMV Version: Ver. 5 (current) - Hardware: NanoPi M4, running Nextcloud, Plex, & Heimdall - Acer Aspire T180, running backup - Odroid XU4, running Pi-Hole (DietPi) - Testing/Playing: Odroid HC2, Odroid XU4, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Odroid XU4, and HP dx2400.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!