Disable GPU completely?

• I have an MSI Z87 motherboard which has no integrated graphics. Which means I have to use a AMD HD5570 to be able to boot. It won't boot without any GPU.

But the issue is that the HD5570 gets hot, about 70C degrees. And this is unecessary power draw on a headless server.

Is it possible to completely disable it from drawing power without unplugging it?

Is this the way to do it?

https://askubuntu.com/a/775056

Any other suggestions?

• Normally there should be a BIOS or UEFI option to disable error messages when there is no video card available which should enable a boot without it.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Normally there should be a BIOS or UEFI option to disable error messages when there is no video card available which should enable a boot without it.

Do you have any idea what that BIOS setting could be named? I have checked all my options, but there is nothing near that. I don't even have any graphics options as the MB has no IGPU.

• It depends of the BIOS and motherboard manufacturer. This options are often called "Fast boot" or "Quick boot", which reduces the amount of hardware which is tested during POST. But I would not expect that there is an option in the BIOS explicitely called "Enable boot without graphics card".
    But there are also boards which requires a GPU to run.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sometimes the option is something "continue on error" but this can be bad if your memory has an error.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not an answer, but a possible workaround.

Buy a cheap low-power GPU card and use that. Or ask around if someone has one to sell/give away. Try to get a silent card without any fans, then you don't get problems with worn out fans and noise. I recommend a NVidia card, then you can easily offload transcoding from the cpu to the gpu. Perhaps GT710 or GT730.

• Not an answer, but a possible workaround.

Buy a cheap low-power GPU card and use that. Or ask around if someone has one to sell/give away. Try to get a silent card without any fans, then you don't get problems with worn out fans and noise. I recommend a NVidia card, then you can easily offload transcoding from the cpu to the gpu. Perhaps GT710 or GT730.

Bought a GT710, how do I offload Plex transcoding to the GPU if necessary?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suppose by changing/enabling some settings in Plex. However I don't use Plex, I use Emby.

Most likely you need to install current NVidia drivers first.

Try to google something like: linux plex use nvidia gpu

• New here. I'm happy to see that people here are very friendly.

I've been searching for the solution of this problem for months without success, most people think is hardware related but is not (at least in my case). FreeNAS/TrueNAS boots flawlessly, OMV, Debian and Ubuntu fail to boot without GPU.

This guy ran with the same problem, marks as solved but it didn't worked for me https://www.reddit.com/r/homel…erfectly_fine_headlessno/

This guy posts the problem with more detail but there is no solution:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com…bian-without-gpu-attached

I definitively think this is software related.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!