I'm planning the components of my new server build, and i'd like some advice from more experienced folks.
Currently i'm running my little home server on a RPI3b based on OMV, with a couple external HDD connected as storage. For now it is giving service to 4 users as a NAS with some docker services running (not all at the same time) such as :
- Caddy v2-- Reverse Proxy
- Jellyfin/Plex (cannot decide which one I prefer between the two)
As I cannot run all this services at the same time, I have a little script to get containers up and down shifting from day/night (mainly media services) to leave Nextcloud running alone during the day hours. I'm tired of this situation and experimenting with new services is also a pain as I run out of RAM very quickly. For this reason I'm going to build a new server with a bit more horsepower.
I'm thinking in this configuration:
- CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
- Motherboard: ASRock B460M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard
- Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
- Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + (HDD not listed here)
- Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
- Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply
Is this setup overkill for my use case? Other options that I'm considering would be look into some mini-ITX with integrated chip or downgrade the CPU to some Intel Celeron/AMD Atlhon.
Any suggestion would be much appreciated.