New Server Build advice

• Hello,

I'm planning the components of my new server build, and i'd like some advice from more experienced folks.

Currently i'm running my little home server on a RPI3b based on OMV, with a couple external HDD connected as storage. For now it is giving service to 4 users as a NAS with some docker services running (not all at the same time) such as :

• Nextcloud
    • Bitwarden_rs
    • Caddy v2-- Reverse Proxy
    • Navidrome
    • Jellyfin/Plex (cannot decide which one I prefer between the two)
    • Radarr
    • Sonarr
    • Lidarr
    • Tautulli
    • Nzbget
    • Whatchtower

As I cannot run all this services at the same time, I have a little script to get containers up and down shifting from day/night (mainly media services) to leave Nextcloud running alone during the day hours. I'm tired of this situation and experimenting with new services is also a pain as I run out of RAM very quickly. For this reason I'm going to build a new server with a bit more horsepower.

I'm thinking in this configuration:

• CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
    • Motherboard: ASRock B460M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard
    • Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
    • Storage: Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive + (HDD not listed here)
    • Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case
    • Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Is this setup overkill for my use case? Other options that I'm considering would be look into some mini-ITX with integrated chip or downgrade the CPU to some Intel Celeron/AMD Atlhon.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Cheers

• Looks reasonable to me. Two suggestions though.

Consider a smaller SSD for the system disk.

Will the small case size and limited number of drives it can hold be too quickly outgrown?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Looks reasonable to me. Two suggestions though.

Consider a smaller SSD for the system disk.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look for a smaller SSD, or should I look for an USB?

Will the small case size and limited number of drives it can hold be too quickly outgrown

A small footprint is something that I need for this build, and it was a kind of concern at the beginning, but considering that im getting away with 4TB at the moment an array of 5+1(4TB) sounds like it can serve me well for years to come.

My only concern would be how the system would scale if the user base grows. Any experience on that? Would the 4C/8T be enough.

Thanks again.

• That's a big case if you want a small footprint, however, you can get AT LEAST 10 x 3.5" drives in that thing with a little aluminum flashing or some 3D prints. With a DELL drive cage for three 3.5" drives and some flashing, I have six 3.5" drives and 3 SSD's in a Shuttle K45 case, so you'll have plenty of room!!

I don't transcode anything, but hear if you do transcode anything you'll want to do that on a small GPU.

FWIW, if you're going to do SFF, it's worth investing in a good rotary cutting tool like a variable speed RotoZip with a bowden attachment if you haven't already. Hey, getting one is about the price of a single CPU, so why not?

• Intel CPUS (such as below) are adequate for hardware transcoding using the CPU's Intel graphics, no need for a separate card. My modest Pentium can easily handle three three concurrent 1080 transcoding jobs, maybe more but haven't tried.

Inwin MS04 case with 315 W PSU

ASUS Prime H310i-Plus R2.0 board

Two port PCI-E SATA card

16GB Kingston DDR4

Intel Pentium Coffee Lake G5400 CPU

Samsung Evo M.2 256GB OS drive

4x4TB WD Red NAS drives + 1x4TB + 1x5TB Seagate drives - MergerFS pool

Seagate 5TB USB drives - SnapRAID parity x 2

• That's a big case if you want a small footprint, however, you can get AT LEAST 10 x 3.5" drives in that thing with a little aluminum flashing or some 3D prints. With a DELL drive cage for three 3.5" drives and some flashing, I have six 3.5" drives and 3 SSD's in a Shuttle K45 case, so you'll have plenty of room!!

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I can mange to place a couple extra SSD in the case somehow, but 10x3.5" seem a bit to much to me.

Zitat

I don't transcode anything, but hear if you do transcode anything you'll want to do that on a small GPU.

As johnvick already said, with the integrated GPU on the chip you can transcode easily, that is why I chose Intel over AMD for this particular build.

Zitat

Intel CPUS (such as below) are adequate for hardware transcoding using the CPU's Intel graphics, no need for a separate card. My modest Pentium can easily handle three three concurrent 1080 transcoding jobs, maybe more but haven't tried.

To be honest I don't even want to transcode, but that depends on the client so, better be prepared

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!