Backup Pi Drive to second USB drive

• Hi All.

Running OMV on a Pi with a USB drive ( 500gb ). Working perfectly.

Recently upgraded Laptop ( Win 8.1 ) HD to SSD and the old HD was Cloned to the new SSD ( both ~460Gb - I assume 500Gb with some reserved space ).

Old Laptop HD has been returned in a USB enclosure.

I can plug the old HD in to a different PC and use that drive, but not in to my Laptop - something to do with the ID of the SSD and the ID of the old HD being the same ( ? ).

So wanting to use the old HD in the USB case to backup my OMV HD ( which is used as my NAS ).

Want to do a 'once a month' backup / copy / clone and then remove the old HD and put in safe storage.

What is the best solution that I can run on OMV ( on the Pi ) to do this ?

Should I re-format the old HD on a different PC first ?
    What file system ?

Should I add as a hard drive to OMV and format it there ?

Should I be using some OMV Copy utility, Duplicati, or something else to copy ( or mirror ) the OMV drive to the old HD ( now in usb case ) ?

And lastly, is there a way, in OMV, to change the ID ( or is it MAC address ? ) of the old HD so that I could access it on my laptop again if needed ?

Appreciate any pointers. Regards

• I would wipe the drive and create an ext4 filesystem from the GUI of OMV.

For the backup you can use the USB-backup-plugin. Once it is configured you just need to plugin the drive, wait until the backup is finished and then unplug the drive.

And lastly, is there a way, in OMV, to change the ID ( or is it MAC address ? ) of the old HD so that I could access it on my laptop again if needed ?

You need to find out what exactly is the problem. If it is the label, then it is easy to change. Also UUID can be changed. Might already be solved if you wipe it and create a new filesystem.

• Thanks Macom. Really appreciate the advice.

Got it working.

Wiped drive

Created ext4 filesystem

Installed USB Backup plugin

Setup first backup and tested.

Moved USB drive to Win 8 Laptop and installed ' DiskInternals Linux Reader ' and was able to mount the ext4 drive and see the files.

Now I am a little stumped --

Set up the second ( larger ) USB Backup profile and started the backup.

I am using the OMV browser interface from my Win 8 Laptop.

If I close the browser, and then re-open the browser and connect to the OMV web interface again, I can't seem to find anything that indicates the USB Backup is running, except for the 'used' value in Storage > File Systems is still changing.

Is there a way to see the progress, as was sidplayed when I initially manually started / Ran the USB Backup profile ?

• Is there a way to see the progress, as was sidplayed when I initially manually started / Ran the USB Backup profile ?

Not that I know.

However, only the first backup takes a lot of time. Later only modified files are transferred and the backup is quite fast.
    I enabled the email option. So I get an email as soon as a backup job has completed.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!