SSD issues, recommendations?

• Hi first time OMV user (OMV5)

Bought a new case and used some old parts lying around to build new server

My issue was that I tried two different SSDs (Crucial CT250MX200SSD1, and Samsung SSD)

When booting from USB to install OMV5 kept getting message could not find root on SSD drive.

Via the installer there was no available option to go into disk partition functions.

Currently running OS from old 320GB HDD, but wanting to know how to backup OS drive in case that fails?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SRfV9n9WFu8YmcfC7

Running OS and parity drives off MB SATA connectors

Bought PCI to SATA adapter off Aliexpress to run up to 6 Data drives

Currently running

• 16GB Ram
    • 4 x 3TB data drives (from old NAS)
    • 2 x 4TB parity drives (new)
    • 1 x 320GB OS drive

I would be interested in any links or guides on how to properly setup SSD's or if I'm just missing something.

Regards All.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the install completing and then you get that error or is it happening during install?

Are you installing with only the os disk and the installer connected? Does the error occur after you connect your storage drives? If only the os is plugged in, does the machine boot normally?

• Thanks for responding,

Its happening during the install process, and yes the only connected devices are a temp monitor the os disk and the usb key with the OMV5 install files. The same process works fine with a spinning disk.

So it never gets past the select the disk the install to and format into two partitions. It starts then I get the error message.

• The SSD was connected to the motherbaord sata ports.

The SATA adapter is used for the data drives and they all work fine.

Can anyone point at instructions to swap boot drive. Scenario would be if boot drive fails, would then need to connect data and parity drives to new boot drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The SSD was connected to the motherbaord sata ports.

The SATA adapter is used for the data drives and they all work fine.

Can anyone point at instructions to swap boot drive. Scenario would be if boot drive fails, would then need to connect data and parity drives to new boot drive.

You do exactly what you said (I've never personally backed up my OS drive.. ever).. Bearing in mind I've never used Snapraid...

If your OS drive fails, disconnect all data drives, install new OS drive and reinstall OS, boot OS. Update/Upgrade to bring everything current, shutdown and connect data drives, mount your file system and then recreate your shares, setup services, etc.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!