UnionFS Setup and Reboot ( >>>Boot FAIL<<<) (Rpi 4 4GB w/ Quad SATA Hat Kit 4X Crucial BX500 SSD's)

• Hi Devs,

I am new to OMV.

However I encountered an issue whereby the latest version of OMV 5 stalls and ultimately fails to reboot whilst running the above hardware/firmware config when using UnionFS freshly configured.

I merged the four SSD labelled A B C D into one named ROOT.

I have done this 3 times. It is now I understand how to image an original setup SD and then I can reload it so I am safe to reboot from the imaged card but do I need to do this every time??? ;(;(;(

Please see below steps taken after reboot. I cannot reenter command line with CTRL + C or as seen by entering ENTER it just stalls.

Regards,

Sam100

• Anyone have any suggestions.

I formatted my SD, reloaded the OS and OMV and then reinserted the SD card and booted up. Without any UnionFS it still stalled at bootup the same also without any modified USER:PASS settings.

I since reinstalled a 4th time and have not booted down the system. But not I am getting issues where the settings wont update.

• I read this when you first posted, but at no time do you state how you installed OMV

So did you follow this guide

did you install and update Raspbian and OMV before connecting the sata hat

does the Pi and the sata hat have the correct power supplies

If something doesn't work as expected you need to go through a process of elimination, so once the system is up and running connect one drive, does OMV see it, can it be wiped and formatted, can the system reboot successfully, if so add a second drive and so on -> process of elimination

• Hi Geaves,

Interesting. I did do a process of elimination and found the issue lied with the fact Quad SATA did not distinguish between different SSD's due to serial normalisation. Once I had corrected that issue I still found the reboot issue reappeared. It most likely is the UnionFS/MergeFS plugin does encounter issues whereby it cannot distinguish differences in USB mounted drives.

I am currently waiting on a CLI mounted RAID10 array to finalise as I gave up of UnionFS/MergeFS. Once I have road tested and am confident post reboot this works I will update the commands used. But for what its worth I made up the majority of my commands from what I read and what the Rpi would accept.

I used the following tutorials:

OMV Official Rpi Guide

With install Quad SATA Hat and changes to SSD serialization from below

Quad SATA Hat

and then used the RAID10 guide below

RAID10 Guide

Albeit they all need minor adjustments to the commands used due to non power/super user and attributes of the drives or user:pass attributes.

Regards,

Sam100

• found the issue lied with the fact Quad SATA did not distinguish between different SSD's due to serial normalisation.

There is a thread on the forum in relation to that particular problem.

It most likely is the UnionFS/MergeFS plugin does encounter issues whereby it cannot distinguish differences in USB mounted drives.

I'm going to agree to disagree, a user on here some time ago posted his mergerfs and snapraid setup using a Pi, usb hub, 5 drives all encased in a cluster box.

Your first two images clearly show the error that OMV is unable to run a file system check on those drives (there are 3 references in those images), now OMV knows about them, but is unable to locate them i.e. communicate with them. Mergerfs does nothing 'fancy' it just merges/groups together drives or folders, depending on the plugin and groups them together. It is therefore reliant on the underlying drives/folders and file system being sound, which points back to the first two images.

I think your issue is related to the fact that the sata hat uses a Jmicron chipset (usb to sata) and I think, I would have to find the post, the udev rules need to changed for each drives serial number to be identified.

You do realise that OMV doesn't support raid on usb devices :) but good luck with the setup, any problems don't call us we'll call you :)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!