SMB share doesn't work with Playstation 2's OPL

• I hope there's someone here that knows about OPL (Open PS2 Loader), a software that loads PS2 games from a network share (or from USB, or from an attached HDD).

I have a SMB share called "Playstation2" where all my PS2 games are, this share works perfectly in windows and on all my android devices, but not on the PS2 itself, I get "network startup error 300" from OPL.

EDIT: I updated OPL to the latest version and initially I got the same 300 network startup error, but after configuring it now I get "301: cannot log into SMB server", I guess it's an improvement :/

Now, the PC I'm using had previously debian installed on it, and my (manually written) "Playstation2" share worked with all my PS2s. Is there something I have to set to make it work with OPL? (I noticed that there are quite a few options I have no idea how to set, like the "WINS" one, for example).

Also, in the OPL menu the SMB port is set as "445", but I couldn't find how to set the port in OMV.

These are my settings:

PS2 internal network settings:

IP= 192.168.1.20

Mask=255.255.255.0

Gateway=192.168.1.1

OPL:

PC IP=192.168.1.70

Port=445

Share=Playstation2

user=*****

password=*****

Openmediavault network settings:

ipv4= static

ipv6= disabled

ipv4= 192.168.1.70

netmask= 255.255.255.0

gateway= 192.168.1.1

MTU= -

WOL= YES

DNS servers= 8.8.8.8

SMB settings:

enable= yes

workgroup= MSHOME

description= %h server

enable user home directories= no

browseable= yes

WINS support= no

log level= none

use sendfile= yes

asynchronous I/O= yes

Share settings:

Playstation2

public= no

read only= no

browseable= yes

honor existing ACLs= yes

enable permission inheritance= yes

enable recycle bin= no

extended attributes= no

store DOS attributes= no

audit= no

• The issue might be related to SAMBA's version. Unfortunately, OPL ony supports SMBv1. This is potentially a security threat since this protocol is long gone.

Try adding this to SAMBA's advanced settings

min protocol = SMB1

Additionally, have you assigned the shared folder to the user you're trying to use?

• Zitat

The issue might be related to SAMBA's version. Unfortunately, OPL ony supports SMBv1. This is potentially a security threat since this protocol is long gone.

That's unfortunate: I'll have to either dismantle my OMV server or find a dedicated solution for my PS2s

Zitat

Try adding this to SAMBA's advanced settings

min protocol = SMB1

So, I have to past this line in in "Extra options"?

Zitat

Additionally, have you assigned the shared folder to the user you're trying to use?

I think I did, since I have to input my user and pass in order to access the share from my other devices, however, now I can't find where the option is, can you tell me how to check?

• Try adding this to SAMBA's advanced settings

min protocol = SMB1

So, I tried to add the line in "Extra options" and I got this error:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run samba 2>&1' with exit code '1': debian: ---------- ID: configure_samba_global Function: file.managed Name: /etc/samba/smb.conf Result: True Comment: File /etc/samba/smb.conf updated Started: 00:19:36.511568 Duration: 306.725 ms Changes: ---------- diff: --- +++ @@ -35,100 +35,5 @@ multicast dns register = no # Special configuration for Apple's Time Machine fruit:aapl = yes -#======================= Share Definitions ======================= -

[REDACTED, message is too long, it must be under 10.000 characters]

And if I click "Show details" I get another bunch of stuff but I think the relevant part is this: "Ignoring invalid value 'SMB1' for parameter 'min protocol'"

• UPDATE: I searched "Ignoring invalid value 'SMB1' for parameter 'min protocol'" with google and I landed on a forum where there was a guy complaining that with the "new" version of Debian he couldn't make his old printers work. Someone suggested him to put this in the SMB options:

max protocol = NT1

min protocol = CORE

ntlm auth = yes

Well, I did, I started my PS2 and all games were there! :) Thanks, I couldn't have made it without your help.

• Tanosuke Hata

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.
  • Interesting.

I can't remember what version of SMB is OMV5 running, and my server is currently turned off, but according to this changelog, Samba 4.11 is deprecating SMBv1.

The changelog mentions NT1, LANMAN2, LANMAN1 to support SMB 1, try each of these settings and see if works.

Coincidently I also have a PS2 Slim with OPL but I've never used it with OMV, only with a Synology NAS where I could enable SMBv1.

For the best security you could use a samba docker container on a custom port, enable SMB 1 there and only share the PS2 folder. This requires some docker skills and playing around with the samba config as we are doing now.

Migration to SMB 2/3 is also happening for OPL, they are looking into it right now. Things are finally moving and we should see things happening soon :)

• Interesting.

I can't remember what version of SMB is OMV5 running, and my server is currently turned off, but according to this changelog, Samba 4.11 is deprecating SMBv1.

The changelog mentions NT1, LANMAN2, LANMAN1 to support SMB 1, try each of these settings and see if works.

I don't get it, you mean one at a time? Also, in what way it would be different from my solution? Would it be safer?

Zitat

Coincidently I also have a PS2 Slim with OPL but I've never used it with OMV, only with a Synology NAS where I could enable SMBv1.

Maybe I could try with a raspberry Pi zero.

Zitat

For the best security you could use a samba docker container on a custom port, enable SMB 1 there and only share the PS2 folder. This requires some docker skills and playing around with the samba config as we are doing now.

I wish I could do it, If you can help me I could try... I already have portainer set up and running for Transmission, but I still don't know my way around dockers.

Zitat

Migration to SMB 2/3 is also happening for OPL, they are looking into it right now. Things are finally moving and we should see things happening soon :)

Finally, I hope that they'll make it work.

P.S.

To anyone who may encounter this problem: after turning my SMB shares into SMBv1 they stopped working in Windows 10, to make them work again I had to install the SMBv1 client.

Here's how to do it:

1. Search in the start menu for 'Turn Windows features on or off' and open it.
    2. Search for 'SMB1. 0/CIFS File Sharing Support' in the list of optional features that appears, and select the checkbox next to it.
    3. Click OK and Windows will add the selected feature.
    4. Reboot
  • Yes, Windows 10 DOES NOT like SMB 1 shares and it's for good reason!

I don't get it, you mean one at a time?

Yes, try with one at time and see if the PS2 can connect. I don't know which one is right, but at least one should work, they all belong to SMBv1.

EDIT, try client min protocol = NT1, I've found some references online that is the right one.

Maybe I could try with a raspberry Pi zero.

Yes, that's another option. If you have a spare Raspberry and an external drive, use that for the PS2, so you can keep your main OMV server on SMB2/3. Power consumption will be almost zero, and you can turn it off when not in use.

If you have a FAT PS2 you could also discard the network functionality and buy a sata adapter and store all the games locally.

• EDIT, try client min protocol = NT1, I've found some references online that is the right one.

Nope, didn't work. But I tried this alone ntlm auth = yes and it worked. Does this mean that my shares are now back to SMBv4.11? (or whatever version they were).

Zitat

If you have a FAT PS2 you could also discard the network functionality and buy a sata adapter and store all the games locally.

I do have a FAT PS2, and with an old school IDE drive mounted, but it's in a room I cannot easily use now, so I tend to to stick to the PS2 slim.

Plus, I use Ethernet with the FAT too, both to install games and to casually play games that are "not worthy" of precious hard disk space.

• But I tried this alone ntlm auth = yes and it worked

Good to know!

Does this mean that my shares are now back to SMBv4.11

Using Windows you can check what version your shares are using. The most recent one is 3.xx.

Simply run Get-SmbConnection in a Powershell admin console and it will tell. Mine is 3.1.1.

Plus, I use Ethernet with the FAT too

Right, I see. You can also buy aftermarket adaptors with SATA interface but without ethernet.

• Good to know!

Using Windows you can check what version your shares are using. The most recent one is 3.xx.

Simply run Get-SmbConnection in a Powershell admin console and it will tell. Mine is 3.1.1.

I too get 3.1.1 under "Dialect". Does this mean that I'm good with security now?

Zitat

Right, I see. You can also buy aftermarket adaptors with SATA interface but without ethernet.

i know, I don't like those because you have to take out the HDD every time you add a game (not gonna happen) :P

• I too get 3.1.1 under "Dialect". Does this mean that I'm good with security now?

No, this means you are using the latest and greatest SMB version on your PC, but SMBv1 is still enabled since you've done it in a previous step (Turn Windows Features on or off)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!