Migrated OMV to a new Dell box. No reinstall. Raid not showing

• Hey all,

I am new to OMV, and Linux.

I had an OMV install on an old Dell XPS 610 that I had. The Motherboard in that box is failing forcing me to migrate the hardware to a Dell Dimension E520 today. I moved my boot drive as well as the 2-500gb drives of my RAID0. I booted the new box and to my surprise it booted, the only change I had to make was to use omv-firstaid to reset my network information to my static IP address.

When I load the Web GUI, all of my previous shares, etc are there. The only problem that I have is that OMV is not seeing the RAID0 that I have setup. The 2 drives are shown as separate drives in the disks section of the GUI, and there is nothing listed under the RAID Management section. I am pretty sure when I installed OMV, I did not have to build the RAID, and I am afraid if I try to build it now it will require me to wipe the disks, or worse wipe them without telling me, I migrated this Raid from WIN7 to OMV about a month ago in the Dell XPS.

I am running a Dell Dimemsion E520 Pentium D at 3ghz. AHCI Raid Bios installed and updated to the newest version. 8GB Ram, 2 WD 500GB drives in RAID0, and a Seagate Barracuda 320G drive as my boot drive.

When I check the BIOS settings, I have Raid turned on in the BIOS, all of the drives are listed and on the correct SATA Ports, and in the Boot options menu my boot drive and the RAID are listed as boot options. That means the hardware is seeing the correct configuration, and this is a software problem correct?

I have 2 Questions:

1) will building the Raid in OMV erase the data?

2) is there a way to reinstall the Debian OS to pick up the changes in the new box so the Raid will be detected by OMV?

Thanks in advance for your help.

George

• turn it off

Hey geaves,

Thanks for responding. I tried this also to no avail. The options in my BIOS are either RAID on or RAID auto-detect/ATA. The other box I was using had and AHCI option, but this BIOS does not.

I have also worked through this thread to no avail

it was good information. my 2 disks show as raid members, but it seems to me the raid is not activated for some reason

blkid shows

Code
    /dev/sdb: TYPE="isw_raid_member"
    /dev/sdc: TYPE="isw_raid_member"
    /dev/sda1: UUID="547008be-9a77-48ba-bc12-b4eb417cf2b5" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="b201a8a6-01"
    /dev/sda5: UUID="0c50af37-e80d-4c7f-9f3e-48b3d18c54ca" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="b201a8a6-05"

mdadm --detail /dev/md127 shows

Code
    /dev/md127:
               Version : imsm
            Raid Level : container
         Total Devices : 2

Working Devices : 2

mdadm --examine /dev/md127 shows

after running the

mdadm --stop /dev/md127

and

mdadm --assemble --force --verbose /dev/md127 /dev/sd[bcdef]

commands my cat /proc/mdstat shows

Code
    Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10]
    md127 : inactive sdc[1](S) sdb[0](S)
          5168 blocks super external:imsm

unused devices: <none>

the linux kernel version is Linux 5.7.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 x86_64 and i am running OMV V 5.5.9-1

it looks to me like I am gonna have to bite the bullet and just wipe the drives and restore my data from my backups?

the last question is should the raid show in the disk management window of the GUI or should the software raid from the AHCI show there? I thought that the AHCI sort of hid the physical disks from the operating system?

thanks again

• How did you set up the raid on the previous machine.

it was setup as a raid0 in the intel AHCI driver...did it so long ago i have no idea of the specifics. Maybe i should try to delete and rebuild the array in the AHCI driver?

I am using the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager ROM v6.0.0.1022"

it is the first thing that loads on my boot drive after the POST. In fact if I select to enter the BIOS, this driver loads prior to entering the BIOS screen

• so you never used OMV's raid option to create it, which is mdadm raid (software)

nope is was set up on the windows machine, and on the install OMV just picked it up and knew it was there, but now it does not see it for some reason. do I even need that Intel RAID driver?

Linux should be able to handle the RAID setup with out it, or am I wrong about that?

Since I am going to lose my data anyway, I would like the setup to be as clean as possible

• Offizieller Beitrag

nope is was set up on the windows machine, and on the install OMV just picked it up and knew it was there

That's gotta be a first! According to the manual for E520 the default setting for the raid option is Raid Autodetect/ATA or Raid ON, if this is set to Raid ON the E520 wants/requires, only works with Raid 1

With your first install it may have been pure luck that it worked, but this E520 will not run anything other than Raid 1, unless it's possible to disable the raid option in the bios, usually AHCI is off and Legacy is ON, and the Raid option then is greyed out. But all machines are different, you might be better off looking at the manual page 115 trying a few options until the drives are displayed as individuals rather than through the raid controller.

• That's gotta be a first! According to the manual for E520 the default setting for the raid option is Raid Autodetect/ATA or Raid ON, if this is set to Raid ON the E520 wants/requires, only works with Raid 1

With your first install it may have been pure luck that it worked, but this E520 will not run anything other than Raid 1, unless it's possible to disable the raid option in the bios, usually AHCI is off and Legacy is ON, and the Raid option then is greyed out. But all machines are different, you might be better off looking at the manual page 115 trying a few options until the drives are displayed as individuals rather than through the raid controller.

Thanks for all the help. I went back to the intel driver and took the drives out of the raid. you are correct, when i tried to put them back in the raid it only gave me the option of RAID1. Since that will not work for what I am doing I left them out of the raid in the driver and built the raid as a RAID0 in OMV.

so far seems to be working like a champ.

And just so you know i have a 4TB USB drive that i am using to back up the RAID0. Been down that whole lost a drive road before, and won't be going back there anytime soon.

My wife says "we don't need all of that stuff!" but the first time she lost a file she was crying about not having a backup. Lots of pictures and paid for music on my backup drive. One I can't get back and the other I don't want to pay for again so, yeah, I think I'll keep all that "stuff."

Thanks again for all the help! Really helped we work through the problem to the solution. Guess it is time for me to learn Linux!

George

• Offizieller Beitrag

And just so you know i have a 4TB USB drive that i am using to back up the RAID0

:thumbup: good idea, you lose one drive in Raid0 and you lose the lot, sometimes there isn't always a solution you just need to bounce off ideas/setup on someone else. But at least you have something sorted.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!