OMV Has to be the best out there......

• So I just wanted to share my opinion. I have tried most of the freely available DIY NAS server OSes out there, and I keep going back to OMV. I'll be honest, I'm more of a noob when it comes to Linux / Unix as I just recently reminded myself. Most of the alternatives require a good deal of knowledge about the command line just to get started. I'll give Rockstor an honorable mention. I guess I wrote this to say thank you to the developers at OMV for the ease of use, and reliability. It's good stuff.

usps tracking showbox speed test

• I really liked Freenas (when Volker was there).. I could never warm up to BSD, but I could get the basic stuff done. When Volker left, iX took over, etc... it was such a mess I switched to using Ubuntu Server. It wasn't easy, but I got through it and used it pretty successfully for a bit when I heard Volker had started OMV and it was based on Debian (which I've always really liked). That was October 2011, and I tested it for a month in VM before moving on since I had Ubuntu running well. Installed OMV .2 just after Thanksgiving and have been hooked ever since.

Hard to believe it's been 9yrs

Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

Edited once, last by KM0201 ().

• I ran a recovery diskette for years because it could automatically add all drives to NFS, that was fancy back then. As a plus, it also had an unusable x.500 client.

I've never been a "computer" person, and for that fact I like that OMV is Debian based as help is plentiful, almost too plentiful. I'm starting to stay away from its GUI though, bad things can happen in there.

• I've seen the yellow banner at the top asking me to apply changes, but I'm not sure what I've changed. Maybe somewhere there is a text view of the command queue which is about to be ran (when you click apply), but I haven't seen it. I'd like to have those commands right in my face every time.

But I do think OMV is amazing. Without playing a fluffer, I know nothing magically appears, so thanks to all who've taken some time out of their life to create it.

• I've seen the yellow banner at the top asking me to apply changes, but I'm not sure what I've changed.

So that means bad things are happening? There has been a couple of OMV updates that require applying changes. Otherwise, it should have been a change you made. If you want to see what modules are dirty, you can look at /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json. It won't tell you the exact changes but you really should know what changes you made. I think a request for OMV 6 has been made to make this a little more accessible but it won't be like a git diff.

omv 5.5.17-3 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!