Odroid HC1 write Performance - am I doing something wrong?

• Tested OMV5 with RPI and a USB-SSD and it was good. Around 30MB/s read and write. And iperf3 tests confirmed that was about all I was going to get.

Ordered and set up the HC1 with the same drive after seeing ~100MB/s read/write promoted on the Armbian and Odroid sites.

Iperf3 gets solid gig throughput numbers (~825Mb/s single and ~950Mb/s parallel).

Map a drive with and test with Crystal Disk Mark and I get ~100MB/s read (as expected) but only ~30MB/s write.

I built the system twice - once from the arm script and then from the Softy setup. Both about the same. Then applied whatever tweaks I could find for SMB (thinking that's the culprit) but no significant change.

I'm comparing performance to a QNAP NAS and a Synology NAS (both getting full ~110MB read/write) and was optimistically hoping it would be similar on Gig-E - especially after seeing the posted Windows file-transfer speed pix on Odroid and Armbian.

Any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong? Or what they might have done to see those ~100MB writes?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How is the SSD connected? What SSD are you using?

Odroid HC1 (and HC2) only has a USB2 port. Not USB3.

Make sure to connect using the SATA interface. Then you should have no problem saturating GbE using a decent SATA SSD. I like Crucial MX500. But a decent spinning disk and sequential large file transfers will also saturate GbE.

Also some newer SSDs have very poor write performance when they are getting full.

• Oh, sorry... yeah, that wasn't clear: running a SanDisk Ultra SATA SSD plugged into the SATA interface; that was the only reason I got the HC1 - because it seemed like it should run great with that drive and all.

The drive gets ~390MB/s read and write in a USB3 plugged directly into a computer. So... seems like it wouldn't be the drive?

The drive is fairy full (stuffed the 4TB pretty full in testing) so I double-checked it with USB3 to my PC and I'm getting ~390MB/s read and write still.

Just seems like I've got something wrong since the drive works in direct SATA (to USB) mode and the HC1 /should/ work Gig-E full speed read and write? 🤷‍♀️

• Well, shoot. Yup. Tried to just remove and reformat but that didn't work out - errors and whatever. Grabbed an older, slower Smasung SSD and wiped it and set up from scratch. Sure enough... ~100MB/s on EXT4. Silly me.

So... is EXT4 the recommended for a single-disk setup like this?

Thanks so much for the help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

EXT4 if the default filesystem used for data storage in a fresh OMV install. Very fast and efficient and also very stable. But it does lack some advanced modern features provided by ZFS or BTRFS, for example. For a single drive setup the advanced features of ZFS and BTRFS are not fully available.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!