OMV5 doesn't start after beeing used as original hard drive for a clone

• Hi All,

I'm facing an annoying situation with my server set with OM5.

After cloning the original drive with Acronis True Image on my PC under W10, i've launched the copy on a usb key to store a secure disk in case of emergency.

Unfortunately after replacing the original ssd in his bay, OMV5 is not more starting.

I understood I have to repair the GRUB or smtg similar, but... how to proceed, I'm not really friendly with GRUB...

Thanks for any help !

• It could also be a problem of the boot order of your server that it tries to boot from a different device than your original OMV SSD. On my home office PC with an ASUS MB it sometimes can´t boot Windows anymore after loading another OS from an USB stick for example. In this case it is necessary to go into the UEFI BIOS and change the boot order back to the Windows boot manager. I didn´t know why the boot order has changed from time to time. I am assuming that it´s related to the ASUS UEFI Bios.

I didn´t think that this is a problem of GRUB.

During the cloning process under W10 you didn´t allow Windows to write a signature on the source SSD? If not nothing on the source SSD should have been changed and it should be possible to boot.

Do you get any error message?

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Hi Cabio_Leo, thanks for your recommendations.

Unfortunately this is not an issue with the Boot sequence, i've double checked it and it's correct. In addition I plugged it in the same sata plug, so normally this should be correct.

There is no UEFI as the PC is an old server Dell Poweredge SC1430 so it's more or less simple to check it, without another system running on it, it's dedicated to the OMV5.

I'm not currently face to the computer but what I remember is that something like "No operating system available" is displayed.

If there is no possibility to solve the problem, I'll re-install the system on the SSD or probably on a USB key in order to release an additionnal sata port.

• ...or probably on a USB key in order to release an additionnal sata port.

This is possible without hesitation if you use a good branded USB stick and the flashmemory plugin of OMV which reduces the write access to the boot stick. It is recommended to check the USB key before usage with a tool like h2testw or a similar utility.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Yes i'll check the usb key to ensure it's quality level. As it's a known branded one I hope it should reach the requirements.

Update : problem solved by a workaround : reinstallation of the OMV5 an re-setting it with the same rights / shared folders.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!