W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw

• Hello everyone,

I installed the openmediavault_5.3.9-amd64.iso on a second, new device. Installation ok so far.

Then I did an apt-get update && apt-get upgrade. That reports an error:

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-0.bpo.4-amd64

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw for module r8169

Trigger für ca-certificates (20200601~deb10u1) werden verarbeitet ...

Updating certificates in /etc/ssl/certs...

0 added, 0 removed; done.

I don't have /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw on the system.

If I want to do the apt-get upgrade again:

Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig

Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.

Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig

Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet... Fertig

E: Konnte Sperre /var/cache/apt/archives/lock nicht bekommen - open (11: Die Ressource ist zur Zeit nicht verfügbar)

E: Das Verzeichnis /var/cache/apt/archives/ kann nicht gesperrt werden.

Does anyone have any advice and is kind enough to help me?

Best Regards

Gerd

• Yeah if I remember correctly there is an issue with missing files in that firmware package. You must download this file by hand.

Code
    cd /lib/firmware/rtl_nic
    wget https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw
    update-initramfs -u -k all
  • Yeah if I remember correctly there is an issue with missing files in that firmware package. You must download this file by hand.

Code
    cd /lib/firmware/rtl_nic
    wget https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/plain/rtl_nic/rtl8125a-3.fw
    update-initramfs -u -k all

I had the same problem. So finally got it working. ethtool shows speed 2500 Mpbs vroom vroom!

• fresh install here, used the three lines of code. Got the interface working, at 2500 Mbits/sec, but now it fills my screen and logs with pages and pages of this.

Do either of you see this error?

• Llooks like another device that has driver / firmware issues and doesn't work with PCIe Active State Power Management. Added pcie_aspm=off to the grub config line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, then ran update-grub to make it perminent, error is gone. Unfortunately this disables this power saving feature system wide :( Apparently since 5.5 there is ways to toggle these individually, but my google-fu has failed to find out how.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!