Large File samba SMB performance OK on write 1/2 speed on read

• Is it fair to say that I should be able to maintain a solid 110+ MB/sec both to and from an OMV system and a Win10 Desktop? I expected it to be the case, but I am not seeing it. I can write to the NAS at 113 MB/sec (expected limit for it's 1.0 gigabit network link) but I can only read from it at 55MB/s (~1/2 of a gagibit network.)

-Both directions are perfectly smooth transfers; transfers start at full speed and stay there till it is done. No stutters, hills, or valleys etc.

-A handful of 5-15GB sized ISOs were used to test.

Workstation is Win10 x299- i9/64GB/Optane/10gig NIC.

-Can copy 600-1000MB/sec to/from another linux based NAS and this workstation I have here, so I don't think its the bottleneck.

-NAS is OMV (5) z370-i5/16GB/single drive NVME/EXT4/1GigE Intel NIC

-I have containers running on NAS, but none are active, I have not configured any of them yet.

-No Samba tuning yet

-No jumbo frames enabled

-Disks are only 10-30% full

-Workstation confirms SMB 3.1.1 is used in this connection.

This is a problem right? Flat tops like that look config related to me, but I am unsure where to look.

My Logs are relatively clean. I used to have a 10gig card in the OMV, but just pulled it out, if that matters.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von mervincm ()

• Interesting, there are some config and some BIOS related ties to this issue.

I reset my BIOS to

Optimized defaults with the following changes

Enable virtualization features (IVT and VT-d)

Enable above 4G decode

Disable unnesisary devices (HD Audio, USB3.1, RGB

Configure Primary display as CPU graphics

After this I was able to get much better SMB read performance. I now get 800 mbps on read instead of the 500 mbps I was getting. SMB write remained the same. I am not sure what exact BIOS value made the difference (I did keep a txt export of both values if someone would like to see it) but it was honestly still not enough. I should see a nearly saturated 1000 mbps on read, like I do on right.

To Isolate the config issue, I unplugged all my disks and installed a new SSD for OS install, and a new HDD for a Share location

I did a very simple install as follows

-enable ip4, disable ip6, disable wol

-Install omv from ISO to SSD

autologout-1day

Enable NTP and set TZ

set power button to shutdown

apply all updates available -reboot

install plugin - disk stats

enable write cache on HDD (only, not SSD w OS)

create BTRFS filesystem on single HDD

enable SMB, set workgroup

reboot to confirm it remains fast - 30 secs inc SMB

mount 14TBBTRFS

create shared folder HDD on 14TBBTFS

create a share on HDD

create a test user ID

give rw permission to account

Read performance 113 MB/sec, Write performance 113MB/sec

I am not sure of exactly what config change made the difference, but I will plug away adding all my config and docker etc etc, and provide more details if I find it.

OMV7 on Beelink mini-PC i3-N305 32GB 500GB NVME 2TB Crucial SATA 2x2,5 intel NIC

• A bit more followup.

With the specified bios settings and the newly installed OMV seemed nice and stable, so I disabled the 1gbe NIC and installed a 10 gbe NIC. at eh same ip address. I can copy to and from the test HDD SMB share at 240-260 MB/sec very smoothly. Testing the NVME based SMB share I can copy to at at 1GB/sec and read from it at about 900MB/sec.

I am not sure what the issue was but this is performing exceptionally well, run up to the limit of my network.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!