OMV 6 Release

• Hello,

since years I run my Arrakis NAS and it runs and runs and runs.

Since few month I think about an upgrade, now I have a second os-ssd here and I think about spending time for a new setup or an upgrade.

But what I also saw on wikipedia that OMV6 is planned for Q1 2021 and now I am think about a wasted time for less than a half year?

How about the current status and this timing plan?

Would there be an acceptable upgrade methode? I know about Debian Upgrades a.s.o. and mostly its better to make it complete new.

Or should I try the alfa already? Normally I dont need any special things, SMB and NFS is most importand but I think its such a basis that this works already in Alfa?

Greets

• Oha, haven´t done anything regarding btrfs, all my raid discs inside nas runs on ext4.

Think an on-the-fly change would not be possible or?

A working solution of course is to create with new discs a raid based on btrfs and copy the files from ext4?

And also with this could be a problem because all 6 sata ports on mainboard and addon-board are connected...

• Just keep using ext4. If dropped, will be reintroduced by ryecoaaron, the mantainer of most plugins.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• it will still take some time until it’s production ready. Most likely not before Q3, maybe Q4.

May I ask from what source the statement originates from?

omv 6.9.6-2 (Shaitan) on RPi CM4/4GB with 64bit Kernel 6.1.21-v8+

2x 6TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 via 2port PCIe SATA card with ASM1061R chipset providing hardware supported RAID1

omv 6.9.3-1 (Shaitan) on RPi4/4GB with 32bit Kernel 5.10.63 and WittyPi 3 V2 RTC HAT

2x 3TB 3.5'' HDDs (CMR) formatted with ext4 in Icy Box IB-RD3662-C31 / hardware supported RAID1

For Read/Write performance of SMB shares hosted on this hardware see forum here

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't even started porting omv-extras plugins to omv 6.x yet.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

how about the current state of OMV 6?

If you have a look at the release table one can see that since OMV3 a new version is realeased approx. every two years.

I therefore expect that the final release date / availability of OMV6 including all supplementary plugins will not be before 2022.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• You can already compile and test 6 alpha from GitHub. However it will still take some time until it’s production ready.

I am a little curios now. Which GitHub are we talking about? I would like to try and build it from GitHub. If we do that can we then be able to play a little bit with the new gui?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Which GitHub are we talking about? I would like to try and build it from GitHub. If we do that can we then be able to play a little bit with the new gui?

I don't think that info should be posted. We really don't need people building OMV6 yet. There are still a few issues with installation that I am working with Volker on.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't think that info should be posted. We really don't need people building OMV6 yet. There are still a few issues with installation that I am working with Volker on.

That's fine. I understand. I was just wondering if I had missed some kind of release to the public. And from what I can hear then I haven't.

:thumbup:
    By the way from what I have seen on the blogposts the new gui design look pretty nice. Keep up the good work.

• Why not? I don't think it's a question of giving out info or not. I mean, this is no classified information or so.

GitHub is simply said a platform for open source software and there you can look into the source of many free projects. But since you already have to ask, you probably can't do anything with it anyway.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!