Syslog doesn't rotate

• Hi, OMV WebGUI today says that my syslog is 680 pages, 34000 records, and the last and only time he did logrotate was 9 days ago. I reinstalled the system recently.

All the files in /etc/logrotate.d have the date of today boot.

if I have a look into the files many of them (but not all) seem corrupt, here are some:

It seems there are strange characters (00 in hexadecimal) inside the files that truncate the scripts. Some file starting with "{" don't have the ending "}".

I don't know why, because the syslog management is completely in charge to Armbian that define the base rules.

Is there a way to bypass this strange situation and allow to rotate the logs correctly, once a week and storing them in a compressed way ?

I hope it is not necessary to rebuilt the system from scratch, I have done this too many times already.

• I tried to get by on my own trying to understand a little more:

So logrotate doesn't work because the scripts and the configuration files are corrupted and this was what I suspected.

But if I try to uninstall logrotate, to reinstall it again hoping it rebuilts those files, I get the warning:

"The following packages will be REMOVED:

logrotate openmediavault openmediavault-flashmemory openmediavault-omvextrasorg openmediavault-resetperms openmediavault-usbbackup"

So logrotate is strictly connected to OMV modules.

This makes me think who may have changed those scripts and configuration files ....

I think that the only solution to my problem is to start over by installing Armbian, OMV and Nextcloud.

I am certainly not very skilled, but a software that constantly forces me to reinstall the whole system is not the best !!

Probably thousands of users will disagree because they are completely satisfied, but after more than 2 months of "beta testing" I still haven't been able to put the services into "production". I just keep reinstalling everything all over again, until to meet the next problem...

• A harmless thing to try before doing drastic things is:

apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• ginsa

Changed the title of the thread from “Syslog don't rotate” to “Syslog doesn't rotate”.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!