I'm locked out of OMV, is there something I can do?

• Yesterday I was experimenting with adding new users and assigning them specific shares, in the end I made it and I got what I wanted, but after a while I had to stop a container and when I tried to start it again I got a permission error, so I restarted the machine and now I'm locked out: my admin password doesn't work anymore (my user passwords do, but they're useless, also my SMB shares still work, transmission doesn't though).

I swear I didn't touch the admin account nor did anything with the admin group, what I did though is reset the permissions (through the plugin).

P.S. strangely I can still access as root trough SSH (isn't the root password the same as the "admin" one?).

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not unless you made them the same.

If you never changed the webUI password, the default password is openmediavault (username admin).

If that still doesn't log you in, SSH the server as root, run omv-firstaid and change the web panel password there. That should get you logged in to the webUI then you can try figuring everything else out.

• Not unless you made them the same.

If you never changed the webUI password, the default password is openmediavault (username admin).

If that still doesn't log you in, SSH the server as root, run omv-firstaid and change the web panel password there. That should get you logged in to the webUI then you can try figuring everything else out.

I did it and now I can access the web interface, I still can't access portainer though (nor connect to its supposedly running apps). Also, see below

add user admin to admingroup: 'OMV_WEBGUI_ADMINGROUP_NAME' does not exist

The "openmediavault-admin" group does not exist, should I create it?

P.S. "admin" belongs only to the "user" group, this probably happened when I reset the permissions.

UPDATE: after a couple of minutes I was logged in I got a kind of "guru meditation" error message and now I'm locked out again:

Code
     Error #0:
    OMV\HttpErrorException: Incorrect username or password. in /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc:145
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #4 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()
    #5 {main}       
  • conect by shell ( SSH) like root, and use omv-firstaid

PD: openmediavault-admin is only for OMV5, sorry if I asume that you have OMV5

I do have OMV5 [5.3.8.-1 (Usul)] .

I added admin to the "adm" group. After a minute or so that I'm logged in I still get the guru meditation error, it says something like: "Software failure. Press left mouse button to continue, the session is expired". Although now I can login again without resetting the password with omv-firstaid.

Other than this, the problem is that I cannot access Portainer anymore, I get "ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED" when I try to log in.

I just noticed that the Portainer admin password is different than the OMV admin password, is this correct? Or should I have used the same password?

Is there a way to reset the Portainer password too? (and to solve that "software failure" problem, otherwise I'll clonezilla restore the whole system).

• I managed to login to Portainer again (by reinstalling it from the "OMV-Extras" interface), the problem is that I still cannot start transmission, when I try I get this error:

Failure

OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:349: starting container process caused "exec: \"/init\": permission denied": unknown

EDIT: to be clear, "admin" now is part of these groups: "adm root users docker"

With "adm" being the main one, is this correct? (I added it to all these groups, before that it was just part of the "users" group).

• Offizieller Beitrag

the problem is that I still cannot start transmission, when I try I get this error:

Failure

OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:349: starting container process caused "exec: \"/init\": permission denied": unknown

You are trying to use a container from the wrong architecture. Not sure what system you are using but you probably need armhf instead of amd64

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• On my system the User: admin is in the Groups: users and openmediavault-admin (you may or may not have this group) with the primary group being users. Adding the admin user to other groups is not needed.

The only role the admin user has is to access the OMV Web GUI.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You are trying to use a container from the wrong architecture. Not sure what system you are using but you probably need armhf instead of amd64

My board has an Atom x86 (64bit) processor embedded. By deleting and reinstalling the Transmission container in Portainer now it works (but it now wants to restart downloading from zero even the completed torrents, this is a very strange behaviour from transmission, I may have to restore the system anyways, after all, the "guru meditation" error is stil not solved).

On my system the User: admin is in the Groups: users and openmediavault-admin (you may or may not have this group)

But why that group doesn't even exist in my system? What's wrong with it?

I have these "openmeddiavault-" groups but not openmediavault-admin:

openmediavault-config:x:999:openmediavault-webgui

openmediavault-engined:x:998:openmediavault-webgui

openmediavault-webgui:x:997:

My OMV version is 5.3.8.-1, it should have that group.

Zitat

The only role the admin user has is to access the OMV Web GUI.

Oh OK, that is kind of sorted out (if we don't count the "session expired" error).

• I don't recall whether the openmediavault-admin just showed up by itself or I created it.

I never liked Transmission so I don't use it and can't help you there.

As for Portainer I never use it to create containers. I do use it to manage the more than one dozen container I do run.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I realised why transmission is behaving that way: he's downloading the torrents inside the docker folder, instead of the folders I assigned it, that's why it doesn't find the complete ones.

The folder it's using is something like this:

\docker\volumes\e7c64b0f98y61c37p0fb3409639b6e1da48e5e3cf13e19d309d524a8ebfc92\_data

This is the transmission container's configuration:

6W19Twy.png

The one highlighted should be the "/downloads" folder, is this correct? Or did I mix them up?

• I can't say what went wrong there without seeing the bind statements, but I suspect that you are trying to use a host path instead of a container path in the Transmission GUI.

Without seeing more I can't say more ;)

--

• I can't say what went wrong there without seeing the bind statements

That's exactly what I thought I provided with that picture... ^^

After an extensive search in portainer I found this instead:

jG6JMaH.png

This is wrong of course, the /downloads folder should be the one that ends in "DISCO2TB/Torrent", can I change it?

Maybe if I click "Remove this volume" I can add a different one from this same interface? (I'm hoping it'll be so simple ^^)

• I don't use Volumes, I use Binds instead. I suggest you do the same.

Also, this thread has drifted off topic. You may want to start a new one.

--

• I don't use Volumes, I use Binds instead. I suggest you do the same.

I too use binds, that's what I have to put inside the transmission configuration when I create the container (if I didn't do something wrong this time, which I probably did).

Zitat

Also, this thread has drifted off topic. You may want to start a new one.

OK, I'll mark this solved because the original problem was indeed solved.

• Tanosuke Hata

Hat das Label gelöst hinzugefügt.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!