How often should I update?

• Hi everyone,

I'm doing a basic configuration of OMV, I found this interesting script to put on scheduled jobs that should allow me to update OMV and the Linux distribution installed (in fact after the reboot I no longer have updates proposed by OMV):

apt update -y && apt upgrade-y && reboot

But I think an update can always go wrong and not make OMV work anymore. Is it still recommended to update or is there something I can improve? (making a system backup before each update is impossible ..)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I check for and update my system at least once a day. I honestly cannot recall an update breaking my machine. I've had updates break some services, etc.. but typically that gets caught by votdev or ryecoaaron pretty quickly and within in hours there is an update fixing it. Now a distribution upgrade (say, from debian 6 to 7 or something similar)... I've had some issues w/ in the past. Honestly though, that has been years.. but I've just gotten to the point I always clean install OMV.

IMO, install system updates regularly and it is very unlikely you'll have a serious issue. OS upgrades, I'd maybe proceed a little more cautiously, but even then you will probably be OK, most of the time.

• OMV search automatically for updates, and only wait that you select apropiate from webGUI and apply .

do not add the job to cron, better do it manually once a month or so.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree with the advice you have been given. If you really feel you want automated upgrades, look into the unattended-upgrades package instead of the simple one liner you posted. It does upgrades the correct way (I use it on hundreds of Ubuntu systems at work).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have scheduled a weekly job to run on sunday afternoon to update my system.

The correct command to use is omv-update which takes care of everything, but does not reboot.

I also enabled the email output so I know what is being updated.

This command does not upgrade the OS/OMV versions when there are major upgrades.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• I agree with the advice you have been given. If you really feel you want automated upgrades, look into the unattended-upgrades package instead of the simple one liner you posted. It does upgrades the correct way (I use it on hundreds of Ubuntu systems at work).

So you advise me to do all the updates proposed by the OMV gui?

Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

So you advise me to do all the updates proposed by the OMV gui?

Yep.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!