OMV 5 or 4, new install

• Hello everyone,,

I need to set up a system right now and I am unsure if I should use OMV 5. Seems like it was released a couple of months ago, but there are no OMV extras yet. Is OMV 4 still getting updates/safe to use?

OMV5 is still in beta, and doesn't support most things yet. The forums are abuzz with people who shouldn't have updated to it, don't be one of them.

OMV4 is what every day users should be using, especially new users.

• There IS OMV extras for OMV5!!!
    OMV4 is deprecaded, not updated nor supported anymore.

To install OMV Extras, run from shell

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/packages/raw/master/install | bash

More info here

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 5.x + omvextrasorg

Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 8GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker), 3x4TB HDD (Data) - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

• Don't use OMV 4. OMV 4 went EOL on June 30, 2020.

Where did you get the idea that there are no OMV-Extras for OMV 5?

Don't make decisions based on old and outdated information. The Reddit post you linked to is eight months old.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• You should definately go with OMV5. Not just because it is the latest and safest version, as I'm sure everyone here will tell you. I am recommending it because, I've had 3 power outages in the last 2 days, and I haven't had to reinstall the NAS a single time. With OMV3 and OMV4, if I looked at the thing crosswise, I was reinstalling. Not this time. And I'm not talking about, plugging in a backup version, no. I mean, except for knowing that the power went out, because I was here, working on my other computer when the power went out each time, you would have never known that the power went out unless you looked at the uptime. Trust me, go with OMV5.:love::love::love:

• Yeah I confirm, I hesitated a long time to move from OMV 4 to OMV5 and the move was very smooth, I did a clean install and it's a great system, much easier in terms of Docker if you want to move this way,

Many thanks,

Stef

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!