why borgbackup?

• Offizieller Beitrag

For a long time, I was a huge rsnapshot fan. It never did me wrong. I switched to borgbackup about a year ago. It is great. I love that it compresses, dedupes, and detects bitrot. After today I think it is even better.

The total size of the backup is about 7 TB. I re-organized more than 4tb worth of files. I ran my standard backup to the same repo as usual. The total filesystem used only grew about 20 GB which was the size of the movies I have added since the last backup. If I would've used rsnapshot as in the past, my 8 TB drive would've filled long before the backup finished. Borg was able to dedupe the files regardless of their location.

To make it more interesting, I am backing up from an amd64 machine to an arm64 machine (nanopim4). I needed a file I deleted a few months ago. I listed the archives in the repo, mounted the archive I wanted, and copied the file to the location I needed.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can it fix bitrot, or only detect it?

I haven't run into the problem but according to the docs, borg check --repair can check for integrity issues and recover as much as possible - https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/usage/check.html

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!