Startup/Shutdown email notification

• Hello Everyone,

I am using OMV 5 as a backup server for daily automated backups. And it is doing an awesome job. Thanks for everyone contributing to this great project.

I would like to receive an email notification once OMV startup and shutdown. Any ideas how to do this in clean way?
    I already configured SMTP for other notifications using OMV webGUI, and I can receive all other notifications. The only extra I need is to receive an email upon startup and shutdown.

Thanks in advance:)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Mail at startup can be done by adding a scheduled job in the GUI of OMV with "time of exection" At Reboot.

Command:

echo "Server has restarted "`hostname` | mail -s "rebooted" jane.doe@gmail.com.

Mail at shutdown is not so simple AFAIK, but you will find some ways using google.

• Thanks for your reply. I tried to do a systemd service to send the shutdown email. But it is never sent on time because the message goes to queue first. And I am unable to find a way to make this service execute that script before stopping postfix

• I managed to achieve what I wanted. Here is how..

1- Create a user with privileges enough to send mail

2- Create a service file nano /etc/systemd/system/email-notifications.service

3- Enable the created service systemctl enable email-notifications.service

Notes/Findings:

• Those steps assumes you already configured email configurations in OMV webGUI
    • That service file worked for me after several try/error attempts. It is not guaranteed that it would work for everyone else
    • I think It needs tweaking (I am not familiar enough with systemd)
    • systemd is very fast in stopping/killing services/processes during shutdown. Thats why 5 seconds delay is needed
    • The main issue/challenge is that postfix doesn't send emails currently in queue before it gets stopped by systemd
    • systemd is complicated and messing with it is likely going to break your OMV installation. I suggest reading its manual pages carefully
    • It would be great if the function of shutdown notification be added in OMV webGUI

Thanks for all your hints and for OMV :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!