Windows Cannot access \\OMV-name

• Hi

I recently installed OMV on a Pi3+ and set up following the PDF outlined here, I have also followed from Techno dad life through youtube to set up Transmission.
    There are 3 folders in the server ( one for the downloads, other for myself and another for my girlfriend) I can access the Downloads one from any device ( phone , my laptop and hers and also a tablet) the problem comes from my desktop anytime I try to access the NAS via the network it gives me an error:

Windows cannot access \\ xxxx

Check the Spelling of the name.Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Error code: 0x80070035

The network path was not found.

Troubleshooting tried:

-I reset the permissions on OMV for the folders, the downloads one is everyone: read and write the other two are only visible and accessible to each user.
    -I believe must be an issue with my windows machine as I have tried to access from 2 laptops, phone and a tablet and got no problem.
    -I have looked into the forum but the solutions I have seen did not work, also I have looked online but nothing of the following has worked:
    - Local policies- Sec. Options Lan manager network security - changing to Send LM &NTLM -use NTLMv2 session sec. if neg.
    -Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

-Enable TCP/IP netBIOS helper in services -Open regedint and delete dhe hardwareid and store keys from the Local machine in the MSlicensing folder.
    -I have restarted but does not seem to have any effect.

To mention that I am running Win10 on the 3 computers I have tried and does not seem to work on the desktop only. the laptops were over wifi and the desktop is connected ethernet through a range extender, anyhow tried to connect via WiFi but same issue happened.

Sorry in advanced if I missed any other post, there should be a post I have missed please let me know,

Regards,

• Hi SinE,
    Thanks for your response, yes, so the folders are only guests public on the SMB/CIFS on OMV. I have no problem accessing the Pi from my laptop and my gf's laptop but from my desktop I cannot access. Basically, when I go to my network I can see my raspberrypi but when I try to go in I am prompted with the message I outlined above.

Attaching screenshot for a better description of the issue.

It has to be something with my windows because otherwise I would not be able to connect to the OMV from any PC I believe.

Does \\ipaddress work?

Hi Donh,
    Thanks for your reply and help, I forgot to mention that on my previous comment, I tried both through the name and via IP and neither worked.

Regards,

• Hi SinE,

My os is Windows 10 ,

Yes, the Pi was browsable and enabled on Samba and I want to try to access as an Admin but I cannot even log it when accessing.

Being said that, last night there was a power outage in my area and this morning when I went to the PI it was on but would not boot... I have try putting the sd card on and off and anything but seems it got fried or god knows what... so will have to get another one. I will try again and come back to this forum with the outcome .

Thank you for your help so far.
    Regards,

• Hi, Sorry for the delay on my response as I had little to no time to play around with the PI and follow the link that Macom posted.

I followed one after the other of the steps on the PDF except the last few ones (page 8 to 12 onwards ) because I am afraid of fecking up with the system and because the other solutions were not applicable ( ie> enterprise- education edition or remote mount)

Thank you

• What Windows 10 version are you using on the different computers? Are the ones not working upgraded to 2004?

Can you try to map up av shared drive from commandline using "net use x: \\SERVERNAME\SHARENAME"

You will get better errormessage at least. on what is not working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the address works and name does not. It means dns does not resolve the name to an ip address. On the cli nslookup name will probably show not found. You can also reverse lookup nslookup ip_address. Should return the name if dns is working. So you need to fix the dns. Or cheat and add an entry to the hosts file.

• Hi, I recently installed OMV and was unable to access OMV Shares by "Name" from Windows-11 PC. I could only access the shares using the I.P. address. After researching the Issue online, I was able to solve the problem by enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP by changing from default option to "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" option in Advanced Adapter Properties under WINS Option. (Please see the attached picture).

OMV 6.9.0-1 (Shaitan) on ASROCK B560M-ITX/ac Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Pentium Gold 6405 CPU, Silverstone ECS06 6 Ports SATA Gen3x2 (6Gbps) Non-RAID PCI-e card, 7(2Parity+5Data) Toshiba 2.5 inch Laptop SATA HDD's 1TB each for Data, SnapRaid with MergerFS plugin, Kingston USB-3 Data Traveler Exodia DTX/32 GB Pen Drive for Root/OS, 128GB SATA SSD for use by DOCKER and spare 128 GB PCIE M.2 SSD. Motherboard has 4 native SATA ports and 1 M.2 PCIE port. SilverStone Sugo SG13 Case.

• I assume you read the post above yours. What were the test results? If they both work check the "work group" name.

Yes, I tried nslookup and for both name and IP lookup and it failed. It simply started working after I enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP in my adapter. The nslookpup command still returns this, but now I can access my shares by name!

C:\Users\Hom>nslookup 192.168.XXX.xxx

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Server: UnKnown

Address: fab2:6007:4481::1

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\Hom>nslookup sxxxxxxxne-omv

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Server: UnKnown

Address: fab2:6007:4481::1

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Regards,

Navi.

OMV 6.9.0-1 (Shaitan) on ASROCK B560M-ITX/ac Motherboard, 16GB DDR4 RAM, Intel Pentium Gold 6405 CPU, Silverstone ECS06 6 Ports SATA Gen3x2 (6Gbps) Non-RAID PCI-e card, 7(2Parity+5Data) Toshiba 2.5 inch Laptop SATA HDD's 1TB each for Data, SnapRaid with MergerFS plugin, Kingston USB-3 Data Traveler Exodia DTX/32 GB Pen Drive for Root/OS, 128GB SATA SSD for use by DOCKER and spare 128 GB PCIE M.2 SSD. Motherboard has 4 native SATA ports and 1 M.2 PCIE port. SilverStone Sugo SG13 Case.

• I would fix the dns. "netbios" is disabled for security. At least add it to the "hosts" file if win 11 still has one. LOL

I edited both "hosts" and "lmshosts.sam' file located at “C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc” on Windows-11 and Disabled "NetBios". Now I am unable to access the shared folder on OMV server. I see the folder, but when I enter the credentials it denies me permission. Only thing that seems to work is enabling NetBIOS on the adapter TCP/IP settings. or making the folder Public (Guests Allowed).

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von NsinghP ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I tried nslookup and for both name and IP lookup and it failed

Interesting, I just tried nslookup name on my W10 and it returned the DNS server name and ip add, nslookup ip address ip address being that of OMV, returned the DNS server name and ip, also returned OMV name and ip

The settings I use for W10 is to enable netbios over tcp/ip and add an entry to the W10 hosts file, both of these I have been doing for eons

Your DNS failure is probably associated with IPv6 as the address returned appears to be an IPv6 address, disable IPv6 on your W11 network, and if not already done so disable it on OMV.

Check your router and see if it's possible to disable IPv6, I cannot on mine so I have to disable it on the client where possible

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!