MAC address change

• I'm running openmediavault 5.5.9 on an odroidn2 with armbian 20.08.1.

Recently I ran the updates and this caused the MAC address of the eth0 adapter to change. Since I really rely on it to be static I set

iface eth0 inet dhcp

hwadress ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

in a respective file in /etc/network/interfaces.d/ to force this.

However, this did not resolve the issue. Can someone tell me why the hwaddress changed in recent updates and how to keep it static?

Thanks much

• MAC address change to a hardware ethernet adapter? How did you come to that conclusion?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It's not a conclusion I came to but a fact. As is well known, MAC addresses can be altered, see here for example. Anyway, can someone contribute something as to why recent OMV/armbian updates would do this and what the mechanism in this case is to keep the hwaddress fixed?

Thanks

• MAC addresses in software are alterable.

Are you saying you have a hardware device that you can change the MAC address in the actual hardware at will?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This is not about altering the hardware address in the actual hardware.

Maybe I didn't describe my problem adequately: after running the aforementioned updates the eth0 device was registered at my DHCP server with a different MAC address, resulting in the DHCP server assigning a different IP address, messing up the network configuration. This is not unheard of. What I'm trying to figure out is how to manage, software-wise, keeping the hwaddress stable with openmediavault 5.5.9/armbian 20.08.1. The method I posted obviously doesn't do the trick in my situation.

As an example: /sbin/ifconfig before the update gave

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

[...]

ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)

while after the update

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

[...]

ether yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy txqueuelen 1000 (Ethernet)

• If you want a static IP address on your OMV machine is there some reason you cannot configure a static IP address on the interface directly within OMV's System | Network | Interfaces panel?

--

• Thanks much for your suggestions, I'll check the netplan configuration. Do you know why setting

allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

hwaddress ether 00:1e:06:42:4a:6f

in e.g. /etc/network/interfaces.d/hwaddress doesn't work? According to /etc/network/interfaces files in interfaces.d/ should be sourced.

Pasting the new address in the dhcp list of the router is of course what I did to resolve this for now. But should OMV keep changing the MAC it would be a little awkward doing this repeatedly due to other configuration tied to the MAC address that my set-up requires (open ports, etc).

And yes, you're right, I could set a static IP address, so far I just preferred having the router assign the addresses and let it assign the same to certain machines.

Thanks again.

• IIRC, if Netplan is being used, files in /etc/network are not used and are ignored.

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!