Wondering if OMV is right for me

• So just to clarify:

I make 4 shared folders: Media, TV Shows, Movies and Music

Only the Media Folder i set up an SMB share for

Then login to your server with putty or something

Navigate to the Media folder and then execute your command 3 times. Once for each symlink i want to make.

Do i need to change any settings in OMV5 while setting up those shares?

• My new NUC should arrive in 2 days :) So i can finally start installing OMV and start my setup.

I did some more reading and it turns out OMV only uses about 8GB on your HD. Would it make sense to partition my drive with Gparted so i can split my 256GB HD into 50GB for OS and docker images, 200GB for extra data? I would store my docker config files there and maybe other shares that i want to access quickly or data that needs to get fast access on the server. The majority of my data would still go on the external HD's of course.

Seems a waste of a 256GB ssd to use it all for the OS and i don't have anything smaller

Any input?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would it make sense to partition my drive with Gparted so i can split my 256GB HD into 50GB for OS and docker images, 200GB for extra data?

That is how I do it as well on my 128GB SSD.

• My NUC 8i5BEH arrived today :)

So far I've installed OMV, OMV-extras, Docker and Portainer.

I've also managed to resize my SSD with Gparted.

2 external HD's have been added, formatted and mounted

shares have been made

I can see all the shares in windows

So far so good!

Is it normal that all the changes you make take quite a while to apply, around 15-25 sec. Adding a SMB share seems to take even longer. In the videos on Youtube it always seems to go a lot faster.

The first problem i'm running into is making the symlinks.

I've made my Media and Music shares, for the moment i made both available via SMB too

I added music to the Music share, just to have some reference data.

then i logged into my server with putty as root

navigated to /srv/diskname/Media

then i entered the following command: ln -s /srv/diskname/Music Music

The link gets created and i can see it in windows, but i can't enter the folder, windows just sees it as an empty folder that you can't enter. I can't delete the folder in windows either. I have to do it via the terminal.

If i just create a folder in the terminal then i can manipulate it normally in windows, so it's not a permissions problem i think?

Any idea what i could be doing wrong?

• mmmm, another strange one.

I've made a share called TV

It's shared as TV

but in windows the share shows up as tv

For a share like AppData or Media it shows up normal in windows, it seems to go wrong when the share is in all caps

Edit: After some searching this seems to be a Windows problem, not a OMV one.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von CK77 () aus folgendem Grund: Found solution

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it normal that all the changes you make take quite a while to apply, around 15-25 sec.

Yes, since OMV5 it takes longer than with previous versions. You can apply several changes at the same time.

The link gets created and i can see it in windows, but i can't enter the folder, windows just sees it as an empty folder that you can't enter. I can't delete the folder in windows either. I have to do it via the terminal.

Did you create the links as root? Then permissions are probably not correct.

• Yes, since OMV5 it takes longer than with previous versions. You can apply several changes at the same time.

Did you create the links as root? Then permissions are probably not correct.

Yes i created them as root. I'm the only user at my home so i didn't see the need to create more users

If i create a folder as root i can access it fine in windows. it's only the ln command that seems to give problems

So should i just create another user to do this? What permissions does that user need?

• root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media# ls -al

total 8

drwxrwsrwx+ 2 root users 4096 Sep 30 11:09 .

drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Sep 30 04:18 ..

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root users 34 Sep 30 11:09 Music -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Disk2/Music

root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media#

• oops, i noticed i made a mistake

This is the correct one

root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media# ls -al

total 8

drwxrwsrwx+ 2 root users 4096 Sep 30 11:15 .

drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Sep 30 04:18 ..

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root users 34 Sep 30 11:14 Music -> /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Music

root@Palpatine:/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media#

• Using the root account for everything is a bad idea. Create an ordinary user and if you need elevated privileges use sudo or su to root.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Using the root account for everything is a bad idea. Create an ordinary user and if you need elevated privileges use sudo or su to root.

Thanks for the tip.

I've never really used a Linux system up until now. Always just Windows, so i'm learning a lot.

I've made a new user in OMV that i gave extra permissions, sudo and ssh

I'll use that user to make the symlinks and anything else i need to do on the command line

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!