Beginner Questions about OMV

• I have been following Techno Dad over on youtube and got OMV 5 up and running. I am a little confused about a few items:

-Is OMV an operating system or is (in my case) the raspberry pi system underneath?

-How often should I be updating OMV? Do I need to also update the OS under (if different) from time to time?

-I am confused that Docker and Portainer are installed and managed by OMV. I would expect it to be the other way around with OMV a container within Docker.

I am trying to learn, thank you for any direction you can provide, even if its to tell me my questions do not make sense.

• Is OMV an operating system or is (in my case) the raspberry pi system underneath?

OMV is web interface that configures the underlying Debian Linux operating system. If you are using an RPi, it starts with Raspberry PI OS which is Debian recompiled for the RPi.

How often should I be updating OMV?

monthly is fine.

Do I need to also update the OS under (if different) from time to time?

If you install all updates from the Updates tab, you will be updating OMV and the OS.

I am confused that Docker and Portainer are installed and managed by OMV. I would expect it to be the other way around with OMV a container within Docker.

Portainer is a container in Docker. OMV does not work in a container. OMV needs to be able to configure the OS. So, it really doesn't make sense to put OMV in a container.

omv 5.5.17-3 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• -Is OMV an operating system or is (in my case) the raspberry pi system underneath?

Debian (or if you are using RPi Rapberry OS) is the operating system. OMV is installed on the operating system and is used to configure the OS and the services like smb, ftp etc.

-How often should I be updating OMV? Do I need to also update the OS under (if different) from time to time?

Use the update provided by the GUI of OMV. It will update the OS and OMV. One per week to once per month should be ok.

-I am confused that Docker and Portainer are installed and managed by OMV. I would expect it to be the other way around with OMV a container within Docker.

OMV is just installing Docker and Portainer. Then Docker is running on the OS (alongside OMV) and Portainer is actually a container running in docker.

It is not possible to run OMV in a container.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!