Best configuration for 2 disk at home?

• Hi,

What OMV configuration do you suggest for 2 drives and data protection? It is used at home, photos, videos, documents I am currently raid level mirror in omv (hard:USB 3 2-disk dock). essay writer But I wonder if I went the right way? What configuration will be optimal?

• I find this solution nice:

• one Disk (#1) shared with read/write to users at home
    • one Disk (#2) shared with readonly to users
    • Rsync Job sending the entire content of disk #1 to disk #2 every sunday and or wednesday

Benefits:
    if one of your clients gets malware and it encrypts your shares on the OMV, only the data on the Disk #1 will be destroyed and you can use the data from disk#2 to recover.

If disk#1 fails, you replace it and recover from disk#2

if disk#2 you replace it and just wait.

I you like to can repeat the Rsync job more often. but you should leave you self some time to "interact" in case of malware has destroyed disk#1.
    If you Rsync every night you might not be fast enough to notice malware

• Offizieller Beitrag

One option:

One drive for shared data. One drive for automatic frequently versioned backups.

I wrote my own rsync script to do versioned daily snapshots from one drive to another. That way I can, if needed, "travel back in time" and retrieve a file as it was yesterday, a week ago or three months ago. Each snapshot looks like a full copy, but unchanged files are hard linked between snapshots, so each snapshot (almost) only takes up space needed to account for any new or updated files. All files are uncompressed and unencrypted.

https://github.com/WikiBox/snapshot.sh

rsnapshot is available for OMV, it does something similar.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!