Hardware thoughts

• Hello all.

Not too long ago I went down the path of acquiring a synology ds220+ in the hopes of replacing my odroid hc2 currently installed with omv4/deb9. When I setup the hc2 near a year ago I used a pre-made image (omv4/deb9 sdcard image) and then modified the system to my needs. I was able to succeed.

Now for some recent time I had been going down the rabbit hole of docker due to my 6 rpi's all netbooting off my hc2. I figure I could just host some of these services on my hc2 via docker. Turns out omv4/deb9 is eol and upgrading is going to be an adventure which led me to the synology. The synology only lasted maybe 30 minutes powered on before I decided it wasn't for me. I didn't realize the os was stored on the data drive as well. Not my preference. I have not had issues managing data drives separately from os drives and I prefer to stay that course.

So I returned the ds220+ and I am now looking at some hardware to build a nas of my own. Basically I am trying to aim at hardware just above what the ds220+ hardware was and then some. I have not been keeping up with the hardware times.

So this is what I managed to get together for the time being. Hoping for some thoughts from other hardware experts. I really do like this combo so far but I think a big issue for most people would be the number of sata connections. It currently only supports two sata hdd (2.5/3.5) with nvme for the os drive.

32GB RAM (2x16GB)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Core i3-8100

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…tle_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Asus Prime H310T

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…n_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

250GB SSD for OS

Power adaptor

Cooler Master Elite 110 case

I am certain the total cost for all these pieces together I could have gotten another pre-built nas kit but unless I go to server level nas (1u style or larger) I haven't found any pre-built nas kit that accommodates more than 8gb of ram.

Honest critiques are welcome. Remember, I haven't kept up with hardware trends since maybe 2012 so some here might think there is a better combo. As a budget build I would like to know how this fairs.

Thanks all.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't check but I would bet a 95W cpu is too much for a thin board. Otherwise, I think that setup would be much better than a DS220. The fact that the case supports a standard ATX power supply is nice as well.

** edit - checking the support page for supported CPUs doesn't list anything over 65W. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-H310T/HelpDesk_CPU/

** edit2 - nevermind. the amazon listing has the cpu's tdp wrong. It is a 65w cpu. So, you should be good with your picked parts.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron You scared me for a bit. I saw that 95w on the listing but remembered reading 65w in the description and then I thought I was wrong when you pointed it out lol.

The full size atx psu support was another factor in the case for me. Eventually if I wanted to upgrade to a thick mitx board I have that option.

Thanks for the verification. I will be building my nas from these parts.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry about that. I should've checked the official Intel docs before posting.

I had an i3-6100 that worked very well. So, I think you will be happy with that setup.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• auanasgheps

Great post/thread. I didn't see your thread before now so it instills some confidence in me that I managed the parts I found on my general research.

I am hoping to maybe virtualize somethings here or there which is why I went the max ram route.

In your thread another user posted that your build isn't any cheaper than the synology but my short-lived experience with the synology is that I don't like having the os on the data drive which is what I saw from using my two throw away drives for initial setup.

The board I picked is a thin mITX that uses SODIMM ram slots for the extra compactness. I plan on 3d printing some brackets/carriages for extra drives when the time arises. Right now I am only at the 1 10tb drive active in my hc2 with another 10tb on standby.

Your thread did show me one item I missed...the cpu cooler. If I can't find a similar one at my local bestbuy/computer store then online it shall be.

Many thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your thread did show me one item I missed...the cpu cooler. If I can't find a similar one at my local bestbuy/computer store then online it shall be.

Your i3-8100 is a box cpu. So, it should include a standard intel cooler. That is probably good enough for your use case.

• Am I reading that right - only 2 SATA ports and no expansion slot?

Correct. Currently I only have 1 10tb drive in my hc2 and another 10tb on standby. I am not yet at the point of needing more than 2 drives. I don't hoard as much data as most do (yet) so this is everything I need at this point in time.

• Well, if your needs do change, I hope you can reuse the CPU, and memory in a more capable board.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Well, if your needs do change, I hope you can reuse the CPU, and memory in a more capable board.

I am prepared to move the cpu to a thick mITX board if that should happen but I don't anticipate it to be anytime soon anyways. The h310t also has an m.2 e key port for pcie expansion if I need it but again at that point I may as well change boards.

• In your thread another user posted that your build isn't any cheaper than the synology but my short-lived experience with the synology is that I don't like having the os on the data drive which is what I saw from using my two throw away drives for initial setup.

My build has a way better price/performance ratio than my old Synology which did cost a lot so... it's a win for me!

I don't like too having OS and data on the same drive. I actually separated everything: OS (USB thumb drive), apps (NVMe) and data (HDD).

Your thread did show me one item I missed...the cpu cooler

The i3 comes with a CPU cooler but I hate Intel stock coolers and I wanted something really quiet and efficient. It's up to you, I picked up a very cheap one which is still miles ahead Intel's abomination.

The CPU isn't very strong though, are you sure you want to run VMs? Maybe some extra cores would help.

Also you would reconsider the board. 2 SATA ports are simply not enough.
    I "only" have 3 HDDs but I went for a 6 SATA motherboard and case because you never know what drives or storage I'll be using in a while, and it's still m-ITX!

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• If I need extra drives and I don't feel like changing the board right away I may just use this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W…sc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

At that point if I need more than 4 data drives (which I don't think I am close to yet) then a new board will be done.

I can always test the vm performance and if it doesn't pan out then it won't be a huge loss. Alot of what I am trying to consolidate right now is linux headless stuff so docker should fill most of my immediate needs.

• so docker should fill most of my immediate needs.

Absolutely recommended! I have around 20 containers running on my NAS right now.

If you're only running linux headless stuff at home, there's no real need to use VMs.

Docker takes a bit to learn properly but pays off a lot.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), 2x16TB HDDs w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!