Plugin difference? union vs mergerfs

• My omv re-installation is coming along tackling hiccups along the way.

I installed the union plugin in anticipation to use mergerfs.

I also noticed another plugin that is specifically labeled mergerfs.

What's the difference between the two?

• There are two similar plugins in OMV 5 and both use mergerfs.

openmediavault-unionfilesystems allows for the pooling of entire drives.

openmediavault-megerfsfolders allows for the pooling of individual directories.

You should always tag your posts with the version of OMV you are using.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• 22/7

Hat das Label OMV 5.x hinzugefügt.
  • Fixed the tag. My bad.

So it sounds like I need the union plugin to pool two of my drives to make a "single" volume ie my two 10Tb drives would be "combined" for 20Tb. Am I correct?

How does this affect data in the event of a drive failure?

• Your understanding is correct.

mergerfs doesn't alter the data on the drives in any way. It just presents a merged view. If any particular drive fails you lose only the data on that drive. The other drives are not affected.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Examining the pool doesn't tell you on what disk any particular data is located. This is either the entire point of it or a side effect depending on your perspective. But tools like locate or find will show you on what drive a particular file is stored.

Redundancy was never a feature. Have a backup strategy for that.

If you keep your locate db current you can use locate to

--

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• So now my next question:

I have my hc2 setup complete on my new build. Everything is as it was. I have an SMB share and an NFS share (for netbooting).

From the instructions I have to select both disks, create another folder (the merge folder) and then set the policy.

How does creating this new folder affect my existing locations ie the NFS share for netbooting. Are these shares still accessible the same way ie \\ipofomv\nameOfSmb\ or will it be \\ipofomv\mergeshare\nameOfSmb ?

• Creating a mergerfs pool has no effect on any previously existing NFS or SMB shares.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!