Power management not working on Raspberry Pi for an external USB drive

• Hi,

I recently got a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB and installed OMV. The OS is installed on a Micro SD card. I have connected a 1TB 3.5” disk to one of the USB3 ports with a externally powered SATA to USB3 enclosure.

I have setup a SMB share, which works fine over the network. But the disk never spins down even when not used for hours. I have set “Advanced power management” to 1 – Minimum power usage, and Spindown time to 30 minutes (also tried lower values , but no difference). But regardless, whenever I check, I could hear the disk spinning, I even checked one early morning before I turned on any of my computers, so I'm sure no device was using the share at the time nor for the previous 6~8 hours.

The same disk and enclosure powers down after idling on Windows 10.

Any advice on how to make this disk spin down when not in use?

Thanks.

• This could be caused by several reasons:

• Some USB2Sata controllers in the USB enclosure simply do not accept drive power management commands. For some controllers firmware updates are available which fixes this behaviour.
    • Some newer hard drives do no accept hdparm commands. There is a possibility to install hd-idle instead of hdparm. It could be that hd-idle is already contained in the RPI installer for OMV. I don´t now this.

For both topics you can find a lot of threads here in the forum.

e.g. 2,5" USB Drive Spindown not working

and Guide: How-to setup 'hd-idle' (a HDD spin down SW) together with the OMV plugin 'Autoshutdown' in OMV 5.x.

Sorry, no simple solution.

OMV 3.0.99 (Gray style)
    ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1)- Fractal Design Node 304

Edited 3 times, last by cabrio_leo ().

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!