* My asterisk clause quote. --> I'm well versed in computers (I've been teaching computer/programming for decades)
There are very few problems that I can't figure out when it comes to computers. Usually, it's something extremely simple, which I'm making it more complicated than it is. I've taught myself to walk away, take a shower, walk the pups, get a good night sleep, and then I can usually figure it out. Most the time it's something extremely simple.
I have been racking my brain 🤯🤯 for two weeks on this. I can't figure it out, so I need some help from the community to help me solve this problem.
I have a Raspberry Pi 4 8gb of memory as my Plex media server (using docker), and NAS for family file server. It's on WiFi, sits over in the corner of the house and works flawlessly. No problems at all. Love the little thing.
I have another Raspberry Pi 4, 2gb of memory. My procedure that I have done:
1. Flashed Raspberry Lite on to the 32gb micro sd card (I've tried two different SD cards)
2. sudo raspi-config (Turned on SSH, configured WiFI, and change hostname to omv-bckup
(Unplugged the cat-5 cable and SSH in from my desktop Mac)
3. sudo apt-get update | sudo apt-get upgrade
5. sudo wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.…tallScript/master/install | sudo bash
6. After install rebooted the machine
(Things I have tried, skip the sudo raspi-config on setting up the WiFi in the beginning. Install OMV then add the WiFi device in OMV. But that doesn't work. And going back into raspi-config works but when I reboot it resets the WiFi config. In /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf is empty except that first starter line. So I have to re-install OMV.)
7. I setup the NTP to Mountain time, upgrade the plugins (only one needs upgraded), install the Luks Encryption plugin as my hard drive is encrypted using Luks plugin.
After about two hours I can't access OMV by WiFi. I'm using an old 5TB seagate (When I say old it's three years old lol but...in technology world I guess it's old)USB3.0 hard drive. So, I tried a new hard drive. (Just FYI. the hard drive has it's own power cable, the Rasp is not powering the hard drive).
The only way I can access the OMV is either: Plugin the cat-5 cable in again (I have access again) or reboot the Rasp.
Since I already have one OMV up and running on the Rasp using WiFi with (with basically the same procedures that I did on this one) no problems I figured maybe I just have a bad Rasp.
I repeated all these procedures with a new microSD card on a new Rasp 4 with 8GB this time. Just like my main OMV server. Save thing is happening. WiFi stops working after about 2 hours.
I check the logs and I can't find anything out of the ordinary. I'm pulling my hair out at this point 😖😣😣. I'm so frustrated...and as I teach my kids in life and especially in programming...KISS. Keep it simple stupid. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!