New to OMV - hoping it will save me!!

• Hi all,

I just discovered OMV thanks to the wonders of Google and a dying NAS.

I HAD a 2 bay Thecus NAS with the disks setup as JBOD,

Cue a hardware failure and many hours of troubleshooting later and I managed to find OMV. (The disks seem to be fine, the Thecus is toast)

I've installed OMV on a VirtualBox VM (Windows host). I've setup the disks in VirtualBox as raw disks so that the VM has full access to the entire disk. (I did this after attempting to use a USB3 dock and seeing that it wont work thanks to a tooltip in the UI)

Im attempting (hopefully) to get the disks showing but not sure what to do at this point.

When I go to RAID tab, the "members" show up, and (to my understanding) I should be trying to "Recover" to make them visible through OMV - but when I click Recover, no disks show up.

When I go to File Systems tab, and try mount a disk, I get errors:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; omv-salt deploy run fstab 2>&1' with exit code '1': /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/salt/utils/decorators/signature.py:31: DeprecationWarning: `formatargspec` is deprecated since Python 3.5. Use `signature` and the `Signature` object directly *salt.utils.args.get_function_argspec(original_function) debian: ---------- ID: create_filesystem_mountpoint_0d2bc85a-a582-497f-9d35-04233a961d14 Function: file.accumulated Result: True Comment: Accumulator create_filesystem_mountpoint_0d2bc85a-a582-497f-9d35-04233a961d14 for file /etc/fstab was charged by text Started: 19:47:17.890293 Duration: 0.382 ms Changes: ---------- ID: mount_filesystem_mountpoint_0d2bc85a-a582-497f-9d35-04233a961d14 Function: mount.mounted Name: /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-N2310-0 Result: False Comment: mount: /srv/dev-disk-by-id-md-name-N2310-0: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md124, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. Started: 19:47:17.891041 Duration: 212.422 ms Changes: ---------- ID: append_fstab_entries Function: file.blockreplace Name: /etc/fstab Result: True Comment: No changes needed to be made Started: 19:47:18.104380 Duration: 2.81 ms Changes: Summary for debian ------------ Succeeded: 2 Failed: 1 ------------ Total states run: 3 Total run time: 215.614 ms

And from the "display":

Code
    EXT4-fs (md124): bad block size 65536

Not sure where else to go with this, if setting up in a VM is the issue, if the disks are the issue etc etc

Any wizard with some pearls of wisdom?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you attempting to use the drives that were in the Thecus NAS?

EDIT: I thought I would expand on the question;

When I go to RAID tab, the "members" show up

Can you explain the above

I should be trying to "Recover" to make them visible through OMV - but when I click Recover, no disks show up.

No, the Recover option is OMV's process of adding a new drive to an existing array where a failed drive has been removed.

What you are trying to do would make logical sense, however, if you are simply trying to get your data off, another option would be to connect one of the drives to a USB to SATA bridge, boot your Windows machine with a live Linux CD and connect the drive. The drive should mount and the data should be accessible.

• Read this then come back and ask :)

Thanks. I do understand RAID and have had NAS's running at home and at clients in various shapes and forms for many years.

I mean more in terms of performance/usability/stability. I dont want it for backup purposes - just pure file storage space

What would you say is best:

1) OVM in a virtualbox VM on my windows host and passthrough the drives (which I understand comes at its own risk in terms of how windows maps drives and other factors)

2) Drives in windows with software to essentially create JBOD array

I dont have another device to run OVM natively because my windows "server" is running plex media server and I dont want to give up the native support from plex

• Offizieller Beitrag

I dont have another device to run OVM natively because my windows "server" is running plex media server and I dont want to give up the native support from plex

Then I would suggest that you drop OMV and stay with Windows, I have VB running on my W10 desktop with OMV5 VM purely for testing and keeping notes on what I have tried and what I am comfortable with.

I've also tried W10 Hyper-V but removed it, either Hyper-V has changed or it's deployment under W10 is different. I've also begun to question some of the options I am using OMV for as I believe I'm over thinking what I need.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!