Bug? After setting OMV to a fixed internal IP the machine is reachable both on the fixed and the old DHCP address!

• Hi all,

I have installed an OMV 5 machine from scratch recently and at the beginning it had only a dynamic ip address given from my router, 192.168.22.166 - which was fine.

Then I changed the Ip to "static": 192.168.22.3 - and now I can reach the machine via both addresses!

That should not be because it uses up too much address space...

What can I do?

So far, I don't remember a IPv4 Ethernet could have two IPs of the same subnet at the same time.

If it's a feature, I think OMV should offer a way to turn off the DHCP address.

Andreas

• ande

Changed the title of the thread from “Bug? After setting OMV to a fixed internal IP the machioen is reachable both on the fixed and the old DHCP address!” to “Bug? After setting OMV to a fixed internal IP the machine is reachable both on the fixed and the old DHCP address!”.
  • Not sure how you installed or what you installed on but good chance is the dhcpcd5 package is installed. I would purge it.

omv 5.5.12 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I didn't install any extra packages, just what came in the OMV 5 iso.

My ISP has IPv6 but I was talking to my OMV via the IPv4 address only.

However, emptying the DHCP leases on the rpouter and restarting OMV seems to have done the trick.

Might be nice if the UI told us that we need to reboot...

Thanks!

• ande

Added the Label resolved
  • Yes but I was not aware that the old IP remained there and made services still accessible. Could turn out as a security problem one day for someone.. not that I want to be nagging..

• Yes but I was not aware that the old IP remained there and made services still accessible. Could turn out as a security problem one day for someone.. not that I want to be nagging..

Security problem? OMV configures services to listen on all network adapters by default. And since this is the same network adapter, how could one IP address be secure and the other not? If you are opening firewall ports for the dhcp address, I would stop doing that. Rebooting after a major network change should just be habit even if not completely necessary.

omv 5.5.12 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!