What is the importance of the motherboard?

• Hello everyone,,

I have built a few PCs now, but when choosing a motherboard I have generally gone for mid to low end. I just look for something that supports the components I want and that's it really. I have never really understood or seen the importance of getting a good motherboard. I have always thought the high end ones just include on board graphics which I dont need. Am I wrong about this, does the motherboard have a larger effect on a build than I think https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps?

• Depends on the motherboard, really. There really is an element of "you get what you pay for" in terms of both features and hardware quality. If you have a higher end board, then it may well handle "neglected" conditions better, the driver support for onboard hardware is likely to be a little better, and you're probably less likely to experience crashes.

The real difference though tends to lie in features. What does the board give you? A cheapo motherboard will work fine for the most part for just a basic NAS, but if you want to you can get a server-grade motherboard which will give you additional functionality, like remote administration/KVM access through IPMI, a far larger amount of drive connectivity, or additional CPU support (dual-socket). For consumer boards, if you go with, say, an A320 board over a B450 for AMD, I believe you have fewer PCIe lanes available in general for supporting drives, network cards, etc.

• The choice of the motherboard must depend on the hardware of the computer. For example, an LGA socket is suitable for an Intel processor, and an AM model for AMD processors. In addition, it is impossible to advise purchasing any kind of motherboard, because each user chooses a computer based on their needs.

• For me, my choice of an Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM came down to 3 things... six SATA connectors, PCIE slots for future expansion (additional SATA ports? 10Gbit Ethernet? Who knows?) and the built-in network controller, which in this case is an Intel chip = proven and reliable for massive transfers.

On-board video is usually a feature of the CPU, not the motherboard. The board just provides HDMI ports and such.

• ...six SATA connectors, PCIE slots for future expansion...

The writings on the Paper..

sure, sata and pcie is mostly given.

In real live you could find out that your m2.sata port will disable 2 normal sata ports if used, or your second m.2sata port will disable your x4 pci-e slot.

Or you get a a Motherboard with the description wlan/wifi, 2pcs m.2sata ports and after unpacking you realize that the 2nd m.2sata port is used with the wifi card.

In my expierience, the dependencies on AMD Boards are often weird and far away from practically orientations.

espacially in VM Cases where u find the possibilitys in Hardware allocation to vm (intel vt-d) are not lucky. Given same numbers to ethernet and USB for example... (sorry, bad english but you get the point)

Intel is in most cases better.

So, it depends in my opinion on what are you planning to do.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!