Start rsync manually, close browser

• Hi,

I just bought a neu external drive which I configured as backupdevice for rsync.

Looks like it's working find, but when I close my webbrowser (running the OMV-GUI), rsync will fail to finish nor can I see it's status.

Are there any improvements worg-in-progress or is there any option I can start rsync manually and it won't about when closing the GUI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

rsync will fail to finish nor can I see it's status.

Closing your browser shouldn't affect the run at all. True, you can't see the status for a manual run. Scheduled runs could email you.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

After closing the webbrowser I had a look at the status-LED on the HDD the next morning. It didn't blink anymore, nor was the backup even half the size of the files I wanted to backup.

Unfortunately I can't tell you what happened but closing the browser does not terminate the rsync job. Login to the system as root and execute top. You should see the rsync job. Close the browser and it should keep running. Maybe leave the browser open to see if the job finishes.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Impossible. I don't wanna run my PC for 3 days just to see if rsync is running properly on my Banana Pi...

You never said how long it would take... Just a suggestion. I would run the damn command from the command line in screen. That would take everything else out of the loop.

Any chance developers will implement a method progress can be seen after entering the GUI, again?

Highly doubtful but I am not the developer (there is only one).

• Just reinstalled ARMbian on my Banana Pi M1 and freshly installed OMV5 (formerly I run v4).
    I wonder which might be best for backing up my whole device: rsync, Rsnapshot or BorgBackup, since all of them are available using OMV extras.

Id like to create a whole backup of my 4TB drive onto my 8TB USB drive, after this Id like to run incremental backups every first or sevond month - but trigger the backup manually (because I wanted to disconnect the 78TB usb drive between the backups).

What would be your choice? And how to setup?

Or should I go for the USB backup plugin?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What would be your choice? And how to setup?

I use borg myself but I'm not using the plugin. Since my collection rarely changes, I just manually run it when it does. If you are going to disconnect your usb drive, I wouldn't recommend using any of the plugins either. The usbbackup plugin would work for that but you are only going to have one backup on the usb disk (borg and rsnapshot would allow many without taking up much space). If you are ok with one backup, rsync only copies the files that have changed. So, it is basically an incremental.

• Well, I completly reinstalled OMV (since I was playing around with docker containers and messed it up a little bit) and tried rscny, again. Took 3 days do backup my disk. Poorly I cannot see in the rsync menu when it run last time (two days after finishin it should have been run scheduled...).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!