Re-installing OMV onto an existing server.

• Hi Everyone,

I've very new to OMV and have so far managed to solve problems myself and use guilds to help, but i'm now experiencing issues that I have no way to fix. I've tried looking thought the sys logs for anything that jumps out but nothing is obvious.

I'm now thinking of doing a fresh install onto the OS drive. Currently I'm using the OMV as a simple file server at the momment with two HDD drives that are not RAIDed.

Can you suggest any issues I may have with simply re-installing OMV onto the OS drive and just re-mounting the two HDD onto the fresh install?

If you require any more info then please let me know.

Many Thanks,

James

• It is important to know that there is no possibility to transfer an existing configuration to a new installation. Therefore the current settings (users, shared folders, shares, plugins etc.) should be documented before e.g. by screenshots.

I suggest to create an image of your current OMV installation to have a reference in case of troubles.

Can you suggest any issues I may have with simply re-installing OMV onto the OS drive and just re-mounting the two HDD onto the fresh install?

If you have a good documentation of your current settings this is possible.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, you will be able to add and access the data drives after a reinstall.

Just to be on the safe side, it might be a good good idea to disconnect the data drives before you reinstall. Then, when OMV is up an running fine, reconnect and add the drives. And you should be able to mount the filesystems and recreate shares and so on.

Then, clone the rootfs...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is /dev/sda your boot drive? (From the screen shot, noting the SWAP read errors, I suspect that it is.) The second question is, does the drive have some age on it? If it's your boot drive, it appears to have several issues with bad sectors.

The drive may be dying. If it is, reinstalling OMV on the same drive may not help.

You might consider rebuilding on a new drive, or a USB thumbdrive. (The latter is a cheap solution.) If you're considering using a thumbdrive, this -> guide may help.

• Adoby Thanks for confirming that. That's what I'm planning to do.

crashtest Yes, the /dev/sda is my boot drive and sadly not an old drive. Its a Kingston SSD and only 2 months old. Have you heard of SSD dying quickly while used as OMV OS drives?

I'll try the USB thumb drive for now while I investigate the SSD drive.

Thanks for the help :)

• Have you heard of SSD dying quickly while used as OMV OS drives?

No, nothing special is known about this.

With an USB thumb drive the flashmemory plugin is mandatory. For SSD it can also be used but is not mandatory.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you heard of SSD dying quickly while used as OMV OS drives?

I can't say that I have (heard of it) but anything is statistically possible. I don't have any first hand experience with the longevity of SSD's. I have a 240GB SSD, that I have yet to use.

I've been using thumbdrives, for boot drives, for years and never had a failure. On the other hand, other than OMV itself, I'm not running I/O intensive Dockers (downloaders and other) from the boot drive.

Thumbdrives have been working fine for me but, as it is with anything, it depends on what you want to do.

As cabrio_leo has mentioned, when using a thumbdrive, the use of the flashmemory plugin is mandatory. Installing the plugin is covered in the guide.

• Adoby Thanks for confirming that. That's what I'm planning to do.

crashtest Yes, the /dev/sda is my boot drive and sadly not an old drive. Its a Kingston SSD and only 2 months old. Have you heard of SSD dying quickly while used as OMV OS drives?

Thanks for the help :)

moving to a new NAS is agood option too, because your fail can by the SSD , yes, but can be the onboard controller too.

please test both ( Disk and controller) <- so boot from a USB to do some test is a good decission.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ive had some cheap off brand ssd for going on 4yrs.. no prob.

What are you using? I bought a 240GB "Inland" that was on sale, on a lark, from Microcenter. (Inland is supposed to be a contract purchase, rebranded from a major OEM, with a 3 year warranty.)

I'm thinking of giving it an images and dockers storage role, on a proxmox server, if I ever get around to it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What are you using? I bought a 240GB "Inland" that was on sale, on a lark, from Microcenter. (Inland is supposed to be a contract purchase, rebranded from a major OEM, with a 3 year warranty.)

I'm thinking of giving it an images and dockers storage role, on a proxmox server, if I ever get around to it.

It's a 32gig Bi-something (Biwin I think). I've also used a 64gig SanDisk, which is great but I repurposed it, that was when I bought this cheap one. I've honestly noticed no real difference between the two, other than price (around a $50 difference 4yrs ago).

About 2-3yrs ago, I helped a friend build his OMV server, and he used one of those KingDian SSD's that are all over Newegg and Amazon. Looking, they are about $15 for 60gigs. He's had no problems with it. I know we went ahead and setup the flash memory plugin on that one as well.

I don't mind using USB flash drives w/ the proper setup, just hate the idea of them hanging outside the chassis. You could get an internal adapter cable I guess and run it to a header, which I'd do if I needed the drive bay.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/---/ , just hate the idea of them hanging outside the chassis. You could get an internal adapter cable I guess and run it to a header, which I'd do if I needed the drive bay.

I put my servers in a closet. I use a cable to connect to a USB port on the back side, and lay the drive on the top of the case. That makes for easy access for backup and nearly eliminates the possibility of breaking them.

There are a number of valid reasons to use an SSD to boot but I tend to push new users toward thumbdrive's for a number of reasons. Chief among them are, they're cheap so buying two is no big deal, and they're dirt simple to clone / back up.

• The issue is I cant even access the server via the GUI or SSH. My main concern is the mounted discs with files. If I mount them onto a new installation, will I be able to access them? Both disc are not RAID.

Yes the disks will be seen.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• hello

if you can retreive /etc/openmediavault/config.xml from failing boot drive, it may help you to rebuild (at least if you have some successfull experience with other distributions )

• if you can retreive /etc/openmediavault/config.xml from failing boot drive, it may help you to rebuild (at least if you have some successfull experience with other distributions )

If that file can be recovered the only thing that can be done with it is to read it with your eyes. It can not be used by copying it, or portions of it into a fresh installation.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I put my servers in a closet. I use a cable to connect to a USB port on the back side, and lay the drive on the top of the case. That makes for easy access for backup and nearly eliminates the possibility of breaking them.

There are a number of valid reasons to use an SSD to boot but I tend to push new users toward thumbdrive's for a number of reasons. Chief among them are, they're cheap so buying two is no big deal, and they're dirt simple to clone / back up.

Mine sits in a closet now. For a long time sat in the Living Room... and I was more paranoid about a particular someone just needing a flash drive and seeing it and saying, "Oh there's one". It would probably be OK nowadays.

Just out of sheer paranoia, I'd probably still use an internal header cable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!