Broke OMV4 after installing chrony... Help?

• Hello,

Yesterday, I noticed my NAS wasn't at the correct time so I thought it would be a great idea to install chrony.

Server was at the correct time, sure... But OMV web UI wasn't accessible at all.

/var/www/openmediavault/ was basically empty.

After seeking through Google and the forum, I found I could do that:

apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault #would not work because of dependency issues

apt remove chrony

apt-get install --reinstall openmediavault # worked

omv-engined -f -d # stalled

Now I can display the OMV login screen, but it seems to miss the files from the extra phpvirtualbox:

#cat /var/log/nginx/openmediavault-webgui_error.log

2020/09/25 08:20:52 [error] 15103#15103: *63 open() "/var/www/openmediavault/virtualbox/favicon.svg" failed (2: No such file or directory), client: 192.168.1.254, server: openmediavault-webgui, request: "GET //virtualbox/favicon.svg HTTP/1.1", host: "192.168.1.10"

I'm kinda worried since I've got active VMs that I need up and running, they are still running at the moment, but chances are they won't start properly if I reboot the host.

On login attempt, OMV showed:

Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory

Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:140
    Stack trace:
    #0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(56): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(97): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)
    #5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()

I've run:

omv-engined

After that, login was possible.

Of course, all my extras are missing now

I've then installed OMV extras with:

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ckages/raw/master/install | bash

Now the OMV-Extras section of OMV shows:

RPC service 'OmvExtras' not found.

Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: RPC service 'OmvExtras' not found. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:99
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('OmvExtras', 'getKernelList', Array, Array, 1)
    #1 {main}

Now that's where I'm stuck...

Any idea or help for me? Thank you! :*

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yesterday, I noticed my NAS wasn't at the correct time so I thought it would be a great idea to install chrony.

OMV 4.x uses ntp. So, all you had to do is enable it in the web interface. OMV 5.x uses chrony. But installing chrony on OMV 4.x probably removed ntp with removed OMV (since it is dependent on ntp).

I've then installed OMV extras with:

I would purge omvextras with apt-get purge openmediavault-omvextrasorg. Then run the install script again. Make sure to clear your browser cache too.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

Thanks a lot for your insight. :thumbup:

It's weird that OMV is a dependency for NTP and not the other way around! I wouldn't have expected that.

Anyways, running apt-get purge openmediavault-omvextrasorg showed a few warnings:

OMV Login shows:

Code
    Error #0:
    OMV\Rpc\Exception: RPC service 'VirtualBox' not found. in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:99
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('VirtualBox', 'getMachines', Array, Array, 1)
    #1 {main}

On OMV extra, still shows:

Code
    RPC service 'OmvExtras' not found.

And of course package list is empty. ||

I've cleared my browser cache and even tried private navigation to make sure it's not cache related: Same issue.

This error shows with basically any command involving apt:

Code
    Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7f5691bf1510>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
    Exception ignored in: <function WeakValueDictionary.__init__.<locals>.remove at 0x7f5691bf1510>
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3.5/weakref.py", line 117, in remove
    TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable

Found this: RE: Upgrade Debian 9 and 4.x

I tried the fix, which changed the error to

So I've reverted the change.

If anyone is willing to provide any more insight to fix this, that would be lovely! :love:

Maybe that would be a great time to upgrade to OMV 5... ? :S Depends if mdadm RAID is still supported and if my VirtualBox machines would still work or not (I would be willing to switch to KVM if available, though, seems to me it has better performance after using it for work on RHEL) :/

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von UltimateByte () aus folgendem Grund: Added python try

• UltimateByte

Hat das Label OMV 4.x hinzugefügt.
  • Here's to hoping it all works out.

For future ref; Operating System backup is easy and, as you're finding, a real good idea.

Thank you!

Well, in that case I assumed re-installing the whole system would basically take the same amount of time than restoring the backup, therefore I've got no backup of the OMV drive.

I'm very familiar with R1Soft (deploying and using it professionally) but it's paid and not cheap!

If you have a free (or cheap) and good way to backup the whole distro, I'd gladly take it!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assumed re-installing the whole system would basically take the same amount of time than restoring the backup,

If you're extensively configured, this may not be true. A straight reinstall takes about 15 minutes. If the configuration is extensive, with Dockers installed and configured, it may take several hours to recover with part of it being trying to remember what was done.

If using thumbdrives, cloning them is dirt simple and is covered in this -> guide, under OS backup. If something happens, plug in the backup and boot.

Otherwise, there's various threads on the forum for using dd and other methods of regularly cloning a boot drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!