Rpi4 Openemdiavault installations fails on first boot

• Hello,

Infos:

Raspberry Pi4 - 4gb

Boot over USB

Device which is booted from WD green 120gb SSD.

I installed Raspian os or now its called PiOS, updated everything - migrated my SDHC card to the SSD and then booted from it and it worked.

After that i added my pi user to the SSH usergroup and executed the install script:

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

It run through without any errors / it rebooted at the end.

Now im stuck at the bootlevel:

Did the script change the UUID from the SSD ?

best regards

gresec-root

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did the script change the UUID from the SSD ?

No. But I have said time and time again to flash the SD card and then run the script before you do anything else. I have never tested running the script from usb boot (I only have time to test so many configs). It is hard to say what package or OMV config caused this.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello,

I did a new clean Pios build, installed openmediavault and migrated it to SSD

to boote from the SSD i did this

Code
    sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/boot
    cd /tmp
    git clone --depth 1  https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware.git
    cd firmware/boot
    sudo cp *.elf /mnt/boot/
    sudo cp *.dat /mnt/boot/

It still produces this error:

Code
    [Time] Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/73476a97-01
    Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by-partuuid/73476a97-01
    Dependency failed for /boot 

My fstab file:

Code
    proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
    PARTUUID=3b519b98-01  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
    PARTUUID=3b519b98-02        /    ext4    noatime,nodiratime,defaults    0 1
    # a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
    #   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that

Why is the UUID no the same?

If you migrate a clean Pios installation it boots without errors, if you then install openmediavault it crashes, if you install openmediavault and then migrate it to the SSD it crashes the same way, so any idea how to debug this ?

best regards Blanka

• You're saying migrate so does that mean you are just moving files from one disk to another?

Just copying files won't work as you have just found out. Every disk would have a different uuid. What you should do is use something like clonezilla and clone the entire source drive to the destination drive. Cloning keeps the uuid intact.

I don't see why you can't just install pios directly to the ssd and then omv on top of that and be done. I have installed pios on a 64gb usb stick directly and it boots fine.

• My pi4 that I use to test was the guinea pig when I was trying to figure how to upgrade from omv4 to omv5.

In that setup I installed pios to a 64gb usb stick and booted directly from it. Of course before that I updated the eeprom on the stable channel and enabled usb boot. I then directly installed omv5 using the script command.

I believe you should be able to install pios directly to your 120gb ssd after you update your eeprom to enable usb boot. Once it boots do the raspi-config process to setup your pios and then install omv using the script command. There should be no reason why you need to "clone" at this point.

• My pi4 that I use to test was the guinea pig when I was trying to figure how to upgrade from omv4 to omv5.

In that setup I installed pios to a 64gb usb stick and booted directly from it. Of course before that I updated the eeprom on the stable channel and enabled usb boot. I then directly installed omv5 using the script command.

I believe you should be able to install pios directly to your 120gb ssd after you update your eeprom to enable usb boot. Once it boots do the raspi-config process to setup your pios and then install omv using the script command. There should be no reason why you need to "clone" at this point.

i followed your approach:

installed a pios directly to the SSD, it booted and worked, but then diffrent problems occured.

I had the same problemes with Timed out waiting for device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/xxxxxxx

That could be mitigated by a diffrent Usb housing.

But then this happend:

Every boot form the SSD was not very fast and it run in so many errors.I suspect the inteface at this point.

Maybee i need a 2,5 housing which is UASP capabel.

I will investigate it later, burned too much of my freetime :(

My temporary solution is a new SDCARD (sandisk extrem Gold) - i recovered my Backup img file to it and it worked.

best regards

gresec-root

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!