How to replace data disk with bigger one without losing data

• Hi,

My 4TB data disk is nearing full capacity on my Odroid Hc2.
    I am waiting for my new 8TB disk ordered couple of days ago.
    My concern is how I should replace both disks new and old.
    How can I clone old disk to new one and then use the old disk as is.
    I am planning to configure another openmediavault using old 386 pc laying around.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can use Rsync for a full disk to disk copy - mirror. See this -> guide on page 59. This can be done from the GUI.

Wipe, provide a volume name, and format the new destination disk with the file system of your choice and run the Rsync command line, set up as shown in the guide. **In your case, be sure to leave out the --delete switch when setting up the command line. The --delete switch does not apply to your scenario.**

Note that the operation may take hours, depending on the amount of data. Also, other than the scrolling files list, there will be no "progress meter" or "percentage completed" indication. If you navigate away the page where the dialog box with files scrolling, Rsync is still working but there will be no indication that the job is in progress or complete. The only way to verify that the job has been completed, fully, is to run the command line again where no files will be listed. (Similar to the following.)

When the copy is complete and verified, redirect your shared folders to the new drive as indicated in the guide.

• dd will make an exact copy of your 4TB disk onto your 8TB disk. But the resulting copy will be only 4TB. You will need to expand the partition and expand the filesystem to have an 8TB fully usable disk.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was thinking of dd instead of Rsync.

If you know how to set up the command line, dd will work. Note gderf 's comment about expanding the file system. After that's done, re-pointing shared folders to the new disk, within OMV's GUI, will work as well. Network shares and other services layered onto shared folders will follow to the new drive.

Odroid-hc2 has only one USB port for external disk.

Do you have a powered USB hub or a two slot drive dock? The Rsync example in the guide is for locally connected disks. A remote host-to-host copy is a different matter.

You still recommend Rsync in my situation?

Whatever you're comfortable with is the way you should go.

• If you know how to set up the command line, dd will work. Note gderf 's comment about expanding the file system. After that's done, re-pointing shared folders to the new disk, within OMV's GUI, will work as well. Network shares and other services layered onto shared folders will follow to the new drive.

I don't think any repointing will be needed. The new disk should be indistinguishable from the old one except for the size.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!