OMV 5...Portainer...And Emby

• OK, so start w/ the easy part. I'm assuming since you mentioned all your dockers getting trashed, nothing needs backed up.

Delete your current emby container, delete the current /config folder you created, and if you're not using the linuxserver image... delete the image you're using. You can do all that in portainer. Then go ahead and create a new /config folder

containers & images gone. Can't delete my Config folder or its contents (Permission denied)

• I don't use Emby, but just for grins, I just set up the Linuxserver image w/ docker compose. Took barely 2min to set up and run, and I've already logged in to the emby UI.

OP is definitely doing something wrong.

Clearly. What that is I'm not sure...followed TDL's youtube videos as usual.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Clearly. What that is I'm not sure...followed TDL's youtube videos as usual.

OK, as I said above... delete your /config folder, delete your old container, etc. Then create a new /config folder (again, I'm assuming nothing here needs backed up)

Now, once you've done that... Open Portainer

On the left, click "Stacks"

Click Add New Stack

On the next window, Name the stack (emby)

Then Under "Web Editor" Paste all of this:

I'm assuming if you've used technodad videos the adjustments you need to make are obvious (PUID, PGID, etc.). MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING ABSOLUTE PATHS.

If you need a custom port, under ports, change the one on the "left" to your custom port.

Click deploy stack

• Clearly. What that is I'm not sure...followed TDL's youtube videos as usual.

It is essentially impossible to help you without you showing the exact configuration you are using to create the container. Saying that you followed an online video is pointless because your use case is certainly different from what is in the video, but you can't or won't show us what you are doing. There are no mind readers here.

Go to the web page for the image you are using and copy the docker create, docker run, or docker compose file they show into a text document. Then read every single line of it and correct each one to fit your actual use case. <Read this again and again. This document can be shared with us, pasted into a docker create or docker run command (as appropriate) in the shell or for a docker compose file you can paste it into a Portainer stack.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Yup. All following TDL, images are gone, but can't nuke my config folder. I'll try to delete it via OMV gui...

Here was my stack info if that helps point out where I went wrong. (P&UID info is as returned when I checked logging as root...maybe that or specifying TZ instead of local??)

---

version: "2.1"

services:

emby:

image: linuxserver/emby

container_name: emby

environment:

- PUID=998

- PGID=100

- TZ=America/Montreal

volumes:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-1TBD2/STORAG2/Config:/config

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBD1/MEDIA/TVShows:/data/tvshows

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-2TBD1/MEDIA/Movies:/data/movies

ports:

- 8096:8096

restart: unless-stopped

• Offizieller Beitrag

Personally... I always bind /etc/localtime to /etc/local time, and don't set a TZ.. and then set it Read Only, so the container can't change my system time. This always keeps my containers, in sync w/ my system time. It has never caused me a problem.. but really either should work.

Where are you getting 998? Is that the admin user for the webUI? That's something dbtech does, and I like his videos, but I disagree w/ him on this (just as I disagree w/ TD doing every single thing he does as root). Create a user, and use that user, at least that is my opinion.

Otherwise, deploy it and see if it works

• Anytime I see a PUID less than 1000 I am suspicious.

Are the permissions of your host volumes such that the running container can access them to the degree required?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Personally... I always bind /etc/localtime to /etc/local time, and don't set a TZ.. and then set it Read Only, so the container can't change my system time. This always keeps my containers, in sync w/ my system time. It has never caused me a problem.. but really either should work.

Where are you getting 998? Is that the admin user for the webUI? That's something dbtech does, and I like his videos, but I disagree w/ him on this (just as I disagree w/ TD doing every single thing he does as root). Create a user, and use that user, at least that is my opinion.

Otherwise, deploy it and see if it works

root@openmediavault:~# id admin

uid=998(admin) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),995(openmediavault-admin)

That make sense? I thought it was weird too.

I also might like TD & DB Techs videos, but I also think they're little sketchy security wise. That said, there's not a lot of youtube deep dives on doing it the hard & secure way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

containers & images gone. Can't delete my Config folder or its contents (Permission denied)

Use Root to delete it from command line, that is probably part of the problem, or set a new config path. I just deleted my emby path from my container w/ a regular user.

• Offizieller Beitrag

root@openmediavault:~# id admin

uid=998(admin) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),995(openmediavault-admin)

That make sense? I thought it was weird too.

I also might like TD & DB Techs videos, but I also think they're little sketchy security wise. That said, there's not a lot of youtube deep dives on doing it the hard & secure way.

It makes sense, but I wouldn't do it. As I said above, create a user, and then use a standard user to run the container.

• OK. I've been banging away this all day, and I'm in need of food and beer.

I am re-installing OMV5 from scratch, wiping drives, clean slate. I have no data on them so I lose nothing but install time. If you have any pointers that differ from the standard TDL or DBTech videos that make your OMVs more robust (No offense TDL, I know you are trying to make it simple), I'll gladly take them in the meantime (Since I hope to make this my last wipe & re-install).

I'll try and pick this up again tomorrow after work. Thank you for all your help. It was appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK. I've been banging away this all day, and I'm in need of food and beer.

I am re-installing OMV5 from scratch, wiping drives, clean slate. I have no data on them so I lose nothing but install time. If you have any pointers that differ from the standard TDL or DBTech videos that make your OMVs more robust (No offense TDL, I know you are trying to make it simple), I'll gladly take them in the meantime (Since I hope to make this my last wipe & re-install).

I'll try and pick this up again tomorrow after work. Thank you for all your help. It was appreciated.

OK.... I'll be working tomorrow night... so I'll try to be as clear as possible.

After you reinstall run all updates (which doesn't sound like its necessary, but whatever toots your horn), etc, reinstall docker (if you're using a small OS drive, especially with Emby) make sure you set up your Containers folder on your storage drives (which I'm assuming are much larger than your OS drive).

Once you've reinstalled, and created your docker base folders (your containers folder, and AppData).. Create a user in the webUI of OMV. When you create this user, give the user a password, etc. At the bottom, change the shell to /bin/bash. Then in the new user window, click the Groups tab, and click the CHECKBOX (don't highlight it, there's a weird GUI bug that will uncheck everything on some browsers) next to SSH.

Save and Apply, your user should now show being in the users and ssh group.

Under SSH, restart the SSH server, and SSH in as your user.. not as root. Personally, I disable root SSH access, and always SSH as a user, and if I actually need to be root I just drop to root with the su - command.... but to each their own

cd to your AppData folder, and mkdir emby

Then use the stack I gave you above.

• Create a new user. Run your containers as that user. Add that user to the docker group.

Learn how to use docker run and docker create commands in the shell.

Make sure the permissions on any host volumes you use are such that the user that is running the container can access them to the degree necessary. It is IMPOSSIBLE to emphasize this enough. You shouldn't even start a container until you are sure of this first because this will bite you every single time. And the most frequently seen incorrect solution to this is to over relax the permissions.

Good luck.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Completely agree.

Permissions is exactly the reason I prefer doing everything as a user. I believe a lot of this is because so many tutorials, etc.. SSH as root and just start creating directories... and eventually it causes a problem for some users.

• Completely agree.

Permissions is exactly the reason I prefer doing everything as a user. I believe a lot of this is because so many tutorials, etc.. SSH as root and just start creating directories... and eventually it causes a problem for some users.

Call that user something generic...ie Dockeradmin or Dockeruser I assume?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Call that user something generic...ie Dockeradmin or Dockeruser I assume?

Some people create a specific user... i use my actual user... "ken"... who basically is my main user on the server... and just add him to the docker and SSH group as previously mentioned... I see no real need to create a user just for docker, since this user is completely unprivileged and does not have sudo access. Edit: One thing I failed to mention, when you go this route, you might also want to create a Home folder in the webUI (create folder in webUI ("Home"), Click Users, Click the Settings Tab, enable the trigger and choose "Home" from the drop down, Save)

It will keep you from getting some annoying quirks when using SSH as a user without a home directory.. but either way is fine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm spending my evening re-reading the install pdf on OMV5 before doing anything else. But keep it coming....

Well one other thing I just noticed.. in the docker compose you posted earlier (with the 998 user), look at your first volume for /config. I'm assuming you need to put "emby" on the end of that path.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!