Change Docker folder location before or after install? Best practices please!

• I've read the docs and it makes sense to offload the images and data writing to another drive from the OS.

Last time I tried, I changed the docker folder to another shared folder/drive and it seemed to mess-up my install (or at least that was uncanny timing).

What are the best practices regarding changing this location?

Off-Grid Home Server Project:

ROCKPro64 4GB (Rockchip RK3399 Hexa-Core)

OMV 5.5.11 on Armbian Buster Server

SD boot | 128GB SSD Docker Storage | 2x 1TB SSD RAID1 Storage

• New install with no container data at all. I've not installed Docker at all yet.

I have a dedicated drive with a share created I'd like to have as a target for docker storage. The last time I tried this i think supplied the folder in the wrong format...I used something like 'DockerStuff/' and the install fouled up.

• Before I installed docker I changed the docker storage path to a folder in one of my mounted drives.

The folder did not need to be a shared folder.

The docker install created the folder I specified in the location and the permissions were set.

I would say set your path first then save the setting then install docker.

And don't set it to a shared folder. Just set it to a folder in one of your mounted drives and the docker install should create it for you.

• ok that's great to know.

I'm a total dummy here, so how did you specify the full name of the folder?

• In my install:

/srv/dev-disk-by-label[disklabel]/nameOfDockerFolder

You would find this information in your disks section of the web gui.

The [disklabel] is what your disk is called and the nameofDockerFolder is whatever you want the folder to be called.

• New install with no container data at all. I've not installed Docker at all yet.

I have a dedicated drive with a share created I'd like to have as a target for docker storage. The last time I tried this i think supplied the folder in the wrong format...I used something like 'DockerStuff/' and the install fouled up.

[attach='17134','none','false'][/attach

If there is no existing docker data, then just enter the absolute path to the existing directory you have set up for this in the Docker Storage box.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• so would my path then be:

/srv/dev-disk-by-label/LookingGlass/DockerStorage

/srv/dev/disk/by-label/LookingGlass/DockerStorage

?? sorry for the dumb questions.

• Your paths look different from mine.

When I ssh into my omv and do ls / I see a directory labeled srv.

ls /srv then shows me the rest of my mounted drives.

Wherever your mounted drives show that's the path you would use. According to your webui that is /dev. I have most of my drives mounted the default way (/srv) so I can't assume how your devices are mounted.

• Offizieller Beitrag

/dev path is the device path. You don't want to use that. You want to use the /srv path. If you look in shared folders and add the absolute path column, you can see the full path of each shared folder.

• Thank you both, this was extremely helpful! Docker all installed. thanks!

• Hmh, interesting. Never thought about this. I'm running OMV from an NVMe SSD M.2 drive. I have sufficient space on there, but just started wondering about "wear and tear". Would you guys recommend moving the docker folder to the HDD Raid instead? And if so, how would you do that with containers being installed?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have sufficient space on there, but just started wondering about "wear and tear". Would you guys recommend moving the docker folder to the HDD Raid instead? And if so, how would you do that with containers being installed?

Your nvme life should be plenty long to not worry about. Also, if your config and data volumes for docker are stored on the OS drive, that is a bit tougher to move. If they aren't, you can just move the docker directory and recreate your containers with the same volumes.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes, my config and data folders are on the raid already. But OK, I'll leave the docker directory itself on the OS NVME drive then. Thanks for your advice, ryecoaaron.

m4tt0

Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

scroll down a few fids

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!