Nvida sucks on Linux

• Just got myself a new laptop for X-Mas a present to myself. Its a Lenovo Y510P. Nice llaptop pretty fast running Haswell but the Nvidia drivers suck on Linux. First thing I got was got rid of Windows 8.1. That UI just sucks then Installed Windows 7 and Linux Mint 16. I use Windows 7 mostly for games and pretty much run Linux all the time. This laptop cam with dual graphics with haswell built in a Nvidia dedicated. The graphics is flawless in windows but does not work in Linux. I tried everything and just gave up. Right now I'm running the open source Intel and its working great. Just had to set a mod line in the kernel and I was set. Nvidia gots to get their act together because their Linux support is really bad. At least the haswell 4600 is working well and since I don't play many Linux games its ok.

• I tried it but it crashes Linux Mint on start. Also bumblebee is still not stable enough maybe in 6 months i'll have another go. So far the Intel open source drivers are working great. Nvidia just sucks on Linux I remmeber my last laptop it had only Nvidia graphics and it was a pain to get it to work right. I don't need the power of nvidia on Linux as the Haswell 4600 is powerfull enough. The nvidia 331 does not work and the nvidia 319 works but crashes mint. If I had a choice I would go with AMD at least the graphics works well with their drivers. There are alot of kernel issues with nvidia.

• You think Nvidia sucks under Linux? Try AMD... Tried for hours yesterday to get my AMD card in my NAS to work with an XServer. Switched it for my old GTS250 and it worked instantly...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I don't game anymore but if I did it wouldn't be on Linux just due to graphics. On AMD, I have a full gnome desktop installed and the ati driver. The driver gets messed up for no reason about every 4 months and I have to reinstall it. Windows 7 is best desktop for professional use.

• Strange so many problem with linux and nvidia.
    In our house we have 9 linux desktop/laptops. We have Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian and ElementaryOs.

We haven't had windows for 6 years except the lonely windows laptop my wife has from gotten from work.
    Our house is fairly digitized with Mythtv, Subsonic and Sonos for all our media use. For gaming my son (age 11) uses Xubuntu 13.10 on a stationary with Nvidia. My daughter (age 9) uses and lenovo laptop for her use - mostly minecraft and youtube.

Of acuse we have had issues with drivers or versions but none that wasn't solveable. Before shifting to linux we used Windows for many things and i have perofessional experience in both arenas though my Windows knowledge is slowly getting more and more rusty. Never the less i believe that i spend less time administering an hunting solutions to faults now that we are running linux wall to wall compared to when we where running windows.

• I´m using windows at work - more or less because I have no other choice, Mac at home as my primary desktop, Ubuntu as secondary. Linux just for VDR´s / servers.
    I´ve never had so many problems as with Windows XP. But since Windows 7 everything is fine!
    The Ubuntu one sometimes has some problems with - yes, also with Nvidia. But since almost a half a year it´s very stable.
    All other Linux derivates gave up working just because I didn´t know what i was doing :D

Oh. If you read carefully you´ll say I forgot the Mac.

But no problem. I always forget this thing. Because I´ve never had any problem since Leopard. Upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion and now Mavericks. With 3 different Hardwares (all Macbook Pros). Thanks apple for inventing TimeMachine ;)

• Sorry I don't touch apple. You can give me and apple product and I won't use it not because they make bad products just how the company is as a whole.

I tried to do pci passthrough on vituralbox and it won't work. Nvida is the problem they can fix by simply making a repository for all the major OS's because their hardware is solid it's just their support for Linux is spotty. You may have one product work really well and others simply don't work. I had a much easier time getting AMD to work than Nvidia. Intel just works, not matter what product they make it just work with Linux, and when it does not Intel will fix the problem themselves. So far I'm really happy with this laptop and have not used Windows in a few days. 99% of all the hardware on this Lenovo Y510P works I mean out of box I did nothing to get it to work well all except this Nvidia 755M chip. Like I said Nvidia just sucks on Linux unless it's on an approved hardware with a specific kernel with a specific OS like Steam OS. Certain Nvidia cards work perfectly with Steam OS just that 95% does not. However, Nvidia for Windows is flawless, no matter which hardware you have it just works but on Linux is just sucks. Like Linus says "Nvidia fu**k you" and a completely agree with him. Don't support a company that does not support Linux that's my motto.

• chente

Hat das Thema geschlossen.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!