CPU Upgrade Question

• I currently have an Intel G3420 3.2 LGA 1150 socket CPU and it’s having trouble transcoding 4k streams. I was thinking about swapping it to a i7 for better performance. Is it as simple as swapping the processor and rebooting or will it cause any issues? I’m assuming keeping the same processor architecture it should be a simple swap but I wanted to verify before getting to far into it. Thanks in advance for the help!

• Are you concerned about the hardware CPU swap being compatible with the motherboard? Ask the motherboard maker for a list of compatible CPUs.

If you are concerned about the software being compatible, don't be.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Are you concerned about the hardware CPU swap being compatible with the motherboard? Ask the motherboard maker for a list of compatible CPUs.

If you are concerned about the software being compatible, don't be.

No strictly from a software point of view, I know the processor in question is compatible from the hardware side of things. Thanks so much for your quick response

• So if I put an i5 or an i7 in it should solve my issues correct? Also I have 8gb of ram in it, is that sufficient? Now this server is not actually playing the videos as it's going to an Apple TV or Shield. All it's doing is storing the files and transcoding them.

• Transcoding can be extremely CPU intensive.

You need to research CPU PassMark ratings vs type and number of simultaneous transcodes you will do.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• So if I put an i5 or an i7 in it should solve my issues correct? Also I have 8gb of ram in it, is that sufficient? Now this server is not actually playing the videos as it's going to an Apple TV or Shield. All it's doing is storing the files and transcoding them.

If you look at the second part of my quote. The 4k transcoding part is not going to happen with that chipset. It is chipset limited. You can direct stream the videos without transcoding though.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!