Emby Docker - Problem with Long folder names

• Hi,

I'm trying to install Emby in Docker.

First part is working fine, it's once i get into the setup of Emby i run into a small problem.

This is a layout of my Shares/Folder structure:

in my docker compose i used the following volumes:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-id-ata-CT250MX500SSD4_2017E29D61E6-part4/AppData/Emby:/config

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Data2/Media:/data/Media

I would like to have a Library that contains TV Documentaries and TV Series, and a separate Library with Daily Shows

Same goes for Movies, one Library with A-Z and Stand up Comedy, one with Universes

My problem is when i start creating Libraries in Emby i can't see the whole folder structure.

It sees data/Media and i can specify Movies or TV, but if i want to drill one level further then it says it can't find the folder

So if i enter

/data/Media/TV as a folder it works

if i enter

/data/Media/TV/TV Series

it says that the path can't be found.

I assume it has something to do with the spaces in the folder name, i tried '' and "" around the path but that doesn't seem to work either.

What am I doing wrong? I'm sure this is something simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• I should add that the folders TV andMusic are symlinks

The Movie folder is one i just created in the Media folder and that one is showing up.

I can even drill further in it:

So the problem seems to be with the symlinks, any idea how to solve this? :)

• The vast majority of problems seen with things like Emby and Plex involve not having the correct filesystem permissions on the media files and folders such that the user the container runs as can access them.

I would avoid using symlinks unless you are absolutely sure they are not interfering with permissions.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The vast majority of problems seen with things like Emby and Plex involve not having the correct filesystem permissions on the media files and folders such that the user the container runs as can access them.

I would avoid using symlinks unless you are absolutely sure they are not interfering with permissions.

And how do i go about checking if i have the right permissions?

I've used portainer and a stack to set up the the Emby container

i used the PIUD and GID from the admin account from portainer

• And how do i go about checking if i have the right permissions?

I've used portainer and a stack to set up the the Emby container

i used the PIUD and GID from the admin account from portainer

You'll need to get some basic Linux skills under your belt. Google for answers to questions like that.

Saying where you got something doesn't say what it is. What are the PUID and PGID you used? If you didn't create that user yourself you probably made a mistake.

If you used a stack, why don't you post it here in a code box? And not the one you found somewhere, the actual one you pasted into Portainer.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• this is the code i used to start the container.

I've basically been following some of the Youtube videos for installing docker containers with portainer.

they all use the PUID and PGID from the user you create when you set up Portainer

• I don't know where that suggestion came from that results in using PUID=998 to run containers, but I disagree with it strongly.

You didn't create user 998. That is the OMV admin user.

--

• I don't know where that suggestion came from that results in using PUID=998 to run containers, but I disagree with it strongly.

You didn't create user 998. That is the OMV admin user.

indeed 998 is the admin user for OMV, that's what most videos on Youtube use when they set up docker containers

I've created a user, as you suggested in the other thread, and added SSH and Sudo Groups to it

for that new user

PIUD=1000

PGID=100

When i adjust the stack and restart the container i still have the same problem. Everything starts fine, but it can't see the symlinks.

For now i might give up on the idea of the symlinks and just have a few more shares

• You should also add that user to the docker group. You may want to talk to docker in the shell someday.

--

• That's how I do it here. My regular unprivileged user runs all my dockers and owns all the files they talk to.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!