setting up RAID5 + Snapraid + Unionfs

• hi all

i recently bought 4 8tb nas drives that i want to use to setup a raid5 ..... so 3 data/content drives and 1 for recovery

i have been following the video Snapraid and Unionfs: Advanced Array Options on Openmediavault (Better than ZFS and Unraid) and i also found this link SnapRAID plugin User Guide - setup, undelete, replace disk, reconnect shared folders

i'm just abit confused about something ..

in omv i must not go to raid management and create the raid5 ?

my goal is to create a raid5 and have about 5 folders with various content in those folders , that i will need to copy over to my nas once the setup is done

and then i want to share those folders over my home lan. i had this setup working before when i had 4 drives in my nas that i shared individually ... those same drives ntfs as now going to be my backup or rather original copies of what i have and my nas will be well then daily box in use. i thinking to use nfs sharing this time around rather then smb ... anyway

in my mind i was thinking well create the raid5 and then create a user and then map out the share to my laptop and then just create the required folders and start copying everything over

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

AMD Opteron™ X3216 Processor

8GB PC4-2400T DDR4 UDIMM ECC

4 x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS in RAID 5

Using as home fileshare\smb

• SnapRAID isn't RAID5 and vice versa. Either setup RAID5 or setup SnapRAID. Pick one, or the other, not both.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• oh my worddddddddddddddd lol now i really feeel dumb lol

which would be the wiser choise ?

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

• I use SnapRAID. I can't say which would be a better choice for you. But you should not make any decisions unless you really understand what these things are and perhaps more importantly what they aren't.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 5.x on ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380 + Silverstone DS380 DAS Box.

• hey guys ... i went with the raid5 option in omv eventually ... decision was made out of pure lazyness lol ... basically a while ago i bought a hp gen10 microserver x3216 and had it set up with 3 4tb drives for filesharing at home with smb. i then wanted to retire those same 4tb drives so i went and bought 4x 8tb nas drives and they been staring at me for a long time lol ... so at the moment i got the gen10 humming away while i copy over the data onto the new drives and will have the data on the 4tb drives as backups ... what i mean is the data will remain on the 4tb drives ie iam copy pasting not cut n pasting lol

i dont know if it is the best solution for my use but yeah ... i have turned on the S.M.A.R.T. options in omv

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

• There are two types of RAID5 users; those with back up and those without backup. I'm going to hope you're in the former category. If you don't have backup, maybe you could get a cheap workstation and throw those 4TB drives into it and set up a backup server for the data you want to keep. OMV will boot from a USB thumbdrive so the WS would only need 3 SATA ports. Most MOBO's, even the cheap ones, have at least 3 SATA ports.

If you shut down your backup server (cold backup) and only bring it once a month or so to replicate, the older 4TB drives will, for most part, stop aging.

• There are two types of RAID5 users; those with back up and those without backup. I'm going to hope you're in the former category. If you don't have backup, maybe you could get a cheap workstation and throw those 4TB drives into it and set up a backup server for the data you want to keep. OMV will boot from a USB thumbdrive so the WS would only need 3 SATA ports. Most MOBO's, even the cheap ones, have at least 3 SATA ports.

If you shut down your backup server (cold backup) and only bring it once a month or so to replicate, the older 4TB drives will, for most part, stop aging.

Yes Sir Iam planning that the 4tb can be the backup ... so yes I will be copying for the next few days it seems and while doing that seeing what needs keeping and what doesn’t. But yes I do have a backup

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!