setting up RAID5 + Snapraid + Unionfs

• hi all

i recently bought 4 8tb nas drives that i want to use to setup a raid5 ..... so 3 data/content drives and 1 for recovery

i have been following the video Snapraid and Unionfs: Advanced Array Options on Openmediavault (Better than ZFS and Unraid) and i also found this link SnapRAID plugin User Guide - setup, undelete, replace disk, reconnect shared folders

i'm just abit confused about something ..

in omv i must not go to raid management and create the raid5 ?

my goal is to create a raid5 and have about 5 folders with various content in those folders , that i will need to copy over to my nas once the setup is done

and then i want to share those folders over my home lan. i had this setup working before when i had 4 drives in my nas that i shared individually ... those same drives ntfs as now going to be my backup or rather original copies of what i have and my nas will be well then daily box in use. i thinking to use nfs sharing this time around rather then smb ... anyway

in my mind i was thinking well create the raid5 and then create a user and then map out the share to my laptop and then just create the required folders and start copying everything over

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10

AMD Opteron™ X3216 Processor

8GB PC4-2400T DDR4 UDIMM ECC

4 x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS in RAID 5

Using as home fileshare\smb

• SnapRAID isn't RAID5 and vice versa. Either setup RAID5 or setup SnapRAID. Pick one, or the other, not both.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• oh my worddddddddddddddd lol now i really feeel dumb lol

which would be the wiser choise ?

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

• I use SnapRAID. I can't say which would be a better choice for you. But you should not make any decisions unless you really understand what these things are and perhaps more importantly what they aren't.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Until you get an idea of what you want to do, perhaps formatting your data disks for EXT4 might be best. You can't go wrong with EXT4.
    (Unlike RAID5) You can add, and remove, SNAPRAID to EXT4 formatted drives at any time. The same applies to Unionfs.

• hey guys ... i went with the raid5 option in omv eventually ... decision was made out of pure lazyness lol ... basically a while ago i bought a hp gen10 microserver x3216 and had it set up with 3 4tb drives for filesharing at home with smb. i then wanted to retire those same 4tb drives so i went and bought 4x 8tb nas drives and they been staring at me for a long time lol ... so at the moment i got the gen10 humming away while i copy over the data onto the new drives and will have the data on the 4tb drives as backups ... what i mean is the data will remain on the 4tb drives ie iam copy pasting not cut n pasting lol

i dont know if it is the best solution for my use but yeah ... i have turned on the S.M.A.R.T. options in omv

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are two types of RAID5 users; those with back up and those without backup. I'm going to hope you're in the former category. If you don't have backup, maybe you could get a cheap workstation and throw those 4TB drives into it and set up a backup server for the data you want to keep. OMV will boot from a USB thumbdrive so the WS would only need 3 SATA ports. Most MOBO's, even the cheap ones, have at least 3 SATA ports.

If you shut down your backup server (cold backup) and only bring it once a month or so to replicate, the older 4TB drives will, for most part, stop aging.

• There are two types of RAID5 users; those with back up and those without backup. I'm going to hope you're in the former category. If you don't have backup, maybe you could get a cheap workstation and throw those 4TB drives into it and set up a backup server for the data you want to keep. OMV will boot from a USB thumbdrive so the WS would only need 3 SATA ports. Most MOBO's, even the cheap ones, have at least 3 SATA ports.

If you shut down your backup server (cold backup) and only bring it once a month or so to replicate, the older 4TB drives will, for most part, stop aging.

Yes Sir Iam planning that the 4tb can be the backup ... so yes I will be copying for the next few days it seems and while doing that seeing what needs keeping and what doesn’t. But yes I do have a backup

Using OMV 5.5.12-1

• Hi, I'm in the same configuration. I would like to migrate from Windows + SnapRAID to OMV + (RAID5 or SnapRAID again).

RAID5 :

+ : Can be used with 16 disks while "losing" only 1 disk

+- : Live

- : Cannot see each disk as a standalone disk (if you lose 2 disks all data are lost)

SnapRAID :

+ : Can see each disk as a standalone disk (if you lost 2 disks, you can keep others disks readable) - But doesn't replace backup !

+ : Can detect every added / deleted / modified files

+- : Sync on demand

- : Can use only 4 data disks with a parity disk

I think I'll go to OMV + SnapRAID + (perhaps) UnionFS. Disks will be formated as ext4 (I'm hesitating with Btrfs but I don't see any advantage to go to ext4 or Btrfs but ext4 seems to be more "mature").

@SnapRAID users : Could you tell me why your choice is SnapRAID over RAID5 ? Thank you !

• Hi, I'm in the same configuration. I would like to migrate from Windows + SnapRAID to OMV + (RAID5 or SnapRAID again).

SnapRAID :

- : Can use only 4 data disks with a parity disk

This is a suggestion/guideline, not a firm requirement.

My array consists of nine data disks and two parity disks. When one of my parity disks failed recently, SnapRAID continued on with one parity disk just fine while I waited for a replacement parity disk.

It never threw an error or even a warning.

--

• This is a suggestion/guideline, not a firm requirement.

My array consists of nine data disks and two parity disks. When one of my parity disks failed recently, SnapRAID continued on with one parity disk just fine while I waited for a replacement parity disk.

It never threw an error or even a warning.

Thank you, and have you ever lost a data disk and recovered it with SnapRAID ? Not me, I don't have experience about it.

• Thank you, and have you ever lost a data disk and recovered it with SnapRAID ? Not me, I don't have experience about it.

I simulated a lost data disk by removing a disk from the machine and replacing it with another blank but formatted and labeled disk of the same size. I followed the directions provided on the snapraid.it page exactly and successfully recovered the lost drive.

--

• Sorry for joining in, but there's one point I miss here.

What is faster? Snapraid or Raid5? I read somewhere that Raid5 should be faster than Snapraid. This could be also a matter pro/con.

Thanks in advance

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• You don't define what you mean by "faster" so it is difficult to answer your question.

SnapRAID is not running continuously. It has no impact on filesystem performance when it isn't running.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read somewhere that Raid5 should be faster than Snapraid. This could be also a matter pro/con.

RAID5 can achieve faster storage I/O but, in modern times, there's no benefit. What most users don't understand is, with servers, "the network" (1GB) is the bottle neck. The I/O of a single drive (up to 6GB) can easily saturate a 1GB network connection. If you had a 10GB network AND multiple users attempting concurrent server access, an argument could be made for RAID5. Otherwise, in nearly all homes and small business scenarios, there's no benefit.

SNAPRAID also offers Bitrot protection and file and folder recovery as of the last SYNC operation, as additional benefits.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!