OMV Gpart safe minimum size

• Poor title sorry.

Understanding that any OMV install will likely have growth etc., I'm trying to harmonize my OS image backups for a variety of SD cards and also reduce the time for backups. Let's say my minimum card size is 16GB (I know that actual size varies from card manufacturer to card manufacturer) and I've offloaded my storage/media and Docker installs to another drive(s).

I have a clean clone of the current install but as we know Armbian will extend itself out over any available space so I want to gpart things down to a minimal size with sufficient headroom.

I was just use 8GB as my standard but even that seems high. I get there's a lot of factors at play here but anyone who's been at this for a while have a reliable partition size for their clones images? Perhaps my logic is entirely flawed here to begin with...apologies in advance.

Off-Grid Home Server Project:

ROCKPro64 4GB (Rockchip RK3399 Hexa-Core)

OMV 5.5.11 on Armbian Buster Server

SD boot | 128GB SSD Docker Storage | 2x 1TB SSD RAID1 Storage

• I'm at 8.7 GB for the rootfs with no swap. This is an OMV 5 that has been upgraded repeatedly over a five year period. OMV 2 -> OMV 3 -> OMV 4 -> OMV 5.

Surely there is some cruft, and I have added some packages over the years. The drive is 16GB SSD so I am confident it will not be outgrown any time soon.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for the solid info here.

One other question: are/have you enforced any partition shrink (via something like gparted) or are you just always cloning from 16gb card to 16gb cards?

• I don't clone directly to another drive. I use dd to write an image of the drive to file. If I need to restore from that image it is to another identical 16BG SSD. But if I was going to clone drive to drive it would be to the same 16GB SSD.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Excellent, thanks very much. This is very clear.

Sorry for all my rookie questions lately but you all have really helped me totally transition my home (off-grid/solar powered) environment.

• Offizieller Beitrag

On my HC2 (running Armbian) I am below 3GB.

I do backup of the SD card with fsarchiver on a laptop running Linux. With fsarchiver you only backup (and compress) what is actually there, so the total size of the SD card does not matter.

• With that method can you simply burn those files to new card? Seems too good to be true!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, like this

backup

sudo fsarchiver -v -Z8 -j4 savefs /home/macom/Documents/NAS/Odroid_20200306 /dev/sdd1 /dev/sdd2

restore

sudo fsarchiver -v -j4 restfs /home/macom/Documents/NAS/Odroid_20200306.fsa id=0,dest=/dev/sdd1 id=1,dest=/dev/sdd2

I have two partitions on my SD card

https://www.fsarchiver.org/quickstart/

There is also a GUI available: qt-fsarchiver

• Very interesting, thanks! The 2 partitions on the SD card is a good idea.

Seems like there's 2 general schools of thought around here about disaster recovery:

1. Just keep Cloning SDs, when one dies pop in a new one.
    2. Backup OS files (to safe location) for later recovery.

or something like that....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!