Reduce md array check

• I have an OMV5 server with 2 x 10Tb disks in Raid 1 mode. Every first Sunday of the current month, the system launches a "check md array". (/etc/cron.d/mdadm). The check takes more than 24 hours and my server becomes very slow (average load: 1.67, max 2.43). A file transfer via ftp is 10 times slower during the check. I would like to reduce this task to only 1 check every 3 months and reduce the load with "nice". Can I suspend this task during a file transfer ?

- NAS 1 : Debian 10 (Buster) - OpenMediaVault 5.2.12-1 Usul - Kernel 5.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 - CPU Intel Pentium G3460
    - NAS 2 : Debian 10 (Buster) - OpenMediaVault 5.2.12-1 Usul - Kernel 5.7.0-0 bpo.2-amd64 - CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

• Edit : 72 h after the start of checking task, still checking... So i found this page https://community.ovh.com/t/ra…aille-des-disques/19179/8 (sorry, in french) were i can reduce to only 1 check every 3 month by modifiing /etc/cron.d/mdadm.

- NAS 1 : Debian 10 (Buster) - OpenMediaVault 5.2.12-1 Usul - Kernel 5.8.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 - CPU Intel Pentium G3460
    - NAS 2 : Debian 10 (Buster) - OpenMediaVault 5.2.12-1 Usul - Kernel 5.7.0-0 bpo.2-amd64 - CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

• i can reduce to only 1 check every 3 month by modifiing /etc/cron.d/mdadm.

And OMV will change your edit. I recommend using rsync instead of raid 1. Raid 1 isn't back and most people don't need realtime sync.

omv 5.5.12 usul | 64 bit | 5.4 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.4.2
    omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't think you understand my problem. I don't need the mdadm task to check my raid every month. This task takes far too long and it prevents me from using my server normally.

• I don't think you understand my problem. I don't need the mdadm task to check my raid every month. This task takes far too long and it prevents me from using my server normally.

Of course, I understand your problem. I'm just telling you that you won't be able to change it. OMV owns the configuration. So, even if you change it on the command line, OMV will change it back. So, since you can't change, I was recommending not using raid and reiterating that raid isn't back (not all users realize that).

• So, if I understand you correctly, you don't recommend using disks in raid mode to store files in a nas ! It's really very strange, because many users use disks in raid mode !

• So, if I understand you correctly, you don't recommend using disks in raid mode to store files in a nas ! It's really very strange, because many users use disks in raid mode !

I don't think that is what he is saying,.. but when it comes to raid 1, I will. I think raid 1 is more or less useless UNLESS you need 100% real time mirroring, which a vast majority of home users do not.

Keep the drives independent, set up a simple rsync job, schedule it to run, 1, 2, 5 (or whatever) times a day.. and be done with it. I switched to using rsync vs raid 1 years ago, and wouldn't go back to raid 1.

• Ok, I get it. The question is how to remove the raid 1 mode from the administration interface without losing my data. Aren't there metadatas on the disks to check that the data is identical ?

• you don't recommend using disks in raid mode to store files in a nas ! It's really very strange, because many users use disks in raid mode !

And most users don't understand why they are using raid.... I don't use raid on my personal NAS at home but I do maintain hundreds of systems using raid at work. What does that tell you?

The question is how to remove the raid 1 mode from the administration interface without losing my data. Aren't there metadatas on the disks to check that the data is identical ?

You can't do it from the web interface. If you don't have another drive, you will have to create a degraded array by failing one drive, formatting it with ext4 (or another Linux filesystem), mount it, and rsync the degraded array to the new filesystem. once that is done, you wipe the array, format the other drive, and sync the two with rsync.

• Your solution doesn't seem clear to me, I don't want to lose my data. I would rather try a solution like UnRaid.

• Your solution doesn't seem clear to me, I don't want to lose my data. I would rather try a solution like UnRaid.

If you don't have a backup, no raid is a good solution. Not sure how to clear up my suggestion. Unraid is proprietary and not free or available on anything but Unraid. But even with unraid, you would have to re-format your drives losing your data.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!