Hardrives Visible on "disks" but wont show up when trying to create a pool

• Hey All!

I am very new to OMV, have messed around with proxmox before until I broke it and figured I would give another Debian based thing a try. Everything as far as the set up has gone smoothly, but I am having some issues actually adding my hard drives to a pool or creating a pool.

All the videos I watch the hard drives show up right away when the person clicks on ZFS create a pool or Raid create a pool.

When I click on "disks" in the web UI I can see all of my hard drives which include; the one I have omv installed on+ swap and the 6 3tb hard drives I have connected with an LSI SAS card in IT mode.

When I go to Raid or ZFS and hit create, none of the drives show up. I read breifly an article saying that you need to add a filesystem to each of the drives before you can create a pool so I went ahead and tried that a couple times, when I added ext4 as the file system for the hard drives it would just say initializing for like 5 mins and then eventually disappear.

I am sure there is a simple solution to this. Anyone have any Ideas of what to try?

Thanks for any tips!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to add them to raid or zfs, the disks must be wiped. If you want to add to a unionfilesystems/mergerfs pool, they must have a filesystem on them and be mounted.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• yeah there is no data on them, I will try wiping them again, should I try secure wipe?

on the file systems page when I go to add a file system on one of the drives it will just say initializing for like 5 mins and then disappear. thus I am not able to mount them do you know what that could be?

Thanks for your help!

• Offizieller Beitrag

yeah there is no data on them, I will try wiping them again, should I try secure wipe?

normal wipe is fine. If you want raid or zfs, DO NOT put a filesystem on them. The filesystem is created on top of the raid array. zfs is completely different. Are you sure you need raid?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Yeah I should say my Ultimate goal is to just have a ZFS pool of 6 the drives that I can put my shared folders on and back up my home PCs to. So yeah I dont need RAID

I was just checking to see if I was able to create a Raid on that tab to see if it was having the same problem as when I tried to create Zpool. but they both had the same result where I couldn't see the drives and create them.

I followed the Techno DAd video on how to set up ZFS, and did all the steps with the proxmox kernel and plugin, but yeah then I get to the create zpool and the drives dont show up.

I have read a couple Technical Documents on Setting up ZFS but I am not sure exactly what is applicable to OMV.

Thanks for your help !

• Offizieller Beitrag

ZFS pool of 6 the drives that I can put my shared folders on and back up my home PCs to. So yeah I dont need RAID

zfs is raid.

he drives dont show up

They need to be completely wiped. If you have ever had zfs on them, you will probably need to wipe them multiple times with wipefs from the command line. There are quite a few posts on the forum about this issue (not OMV fault).

• Ah ok Thanks for the clarification ! I will try wiping them multiple times, and I will look for the command you mentioned as well , what you are saying makes sense as I did for a hot second have them set up as a Zpool on freenas but never really did anything with them.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!