makeMKV portainer OMV 5 options

• Is there anything about the debian / OMV install that would impact the ability to make use of optical disks?

I confirmed the disk is listed in my BIOS at boot, so there is no SATA issues etc.

I created a new stack for makemkv, and as it suggested I left out the device lines from the config, in order to view the log and help identify what the devices are to be added.

nothing was listed in the container log that spoke to optical disks, leading me to wonder if the OS sees them at all.

basic compose file

version: "2.1"

services:

makemkv:

image: jlesage/makemkv

ports:

- "5800:5800"

volumes:

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol1NVME/appdata/makemkv/config:/config

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol1NVME/appdata/makemkv/storage:/storage

- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol1NVME/appdata/makemkv/rips:/output

environment:

- PUID=998

- PGID=100

• That's because you need to add device to the stack, why doesn't OMV see the cd rom, because it's not a block device (at least that's my understanding) so for OMV to see the cd rom you'll need to insert a cd preferably one with data on it. It will then display in Storage -> Disks and File Systems, and display the device reference i.e. /dev/sr0

• Thanks for the response.

You were right! As soon as I loaded a data DVD, it displayed it as a disk, at /dev/sr0, in OMV. I suppose I am still too used to Windows GUI where you see the disk even if nothing is loaded in it.

I did understand that I needed to add the device lines to the compose file, but without knowing what the values are for my drive in my system, I was following the container owners suggestion of running it without the device lines, and then looking for the error messages in the container log. Since I didn't see the errors there at all, I was questioning if my problem was at an even lower level.

This is from their github

The easiest way to determine the right Linux devices to expose is to run the container (without --device parameter) and look at its log: during the startup, messages similar to these ones are outputed:

Code
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: executing...
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: looking for usable optical drives...
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: found optical drive [/dev/sr0, /dev/sg3], but it is not usable because:
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: --> the host device /dev/sr0 is not exposed to the container.
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: --> the host device /dev/sg3 is not exposed to the container.
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: no usable optical drive found.
    [cont-init.d] 95-check-optical-drive.sh: exited 0.

In this case, it's clearly indicated that /dev/sr0 and /dev/sg3 needs to be exposed to the container.

None of these error messages were in my container log for makemkv.

in any case, I now know my sr value is /sr0, I just need to find the sg value and then determine the device lines to add to the stack compose file.

thanks again.

• There was a line for my optical drive in /etc/fstab, but it only included the value that I could get from the drives section in the GUI, /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0

if you happen to know where I could have confirmed the other value (/dev/sg1) I would appreciate it.

• tree was not installed so I did that. unfortunately more of the same. It supplies the optional "dev/srxxx" value, but not the required "dev/sgxxx" value

root@omv:~# tree /dev/disk -a

/dev/disk

├── by-id

│ ├── ata-HL-DT-ST_BD-RE_BH12LS35_K95B2RE2718 -> ../../sr0

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!